Sunday, November 30, 2014

Concealed Carry: Does Self-Defense Really Happen?

I had a discussion with a left leaning friend the other day. He said that he had never read about someone defending the self without shooting a shot. I said that I actually defended myself in broad daylight, at a busy mall parking lot, in our small town, with my knife case! The problem is, it's not really news so you won't read about it. My friends problem, amount other things, is that he believes if you don't hear about it in mainstream media, it doesn't happen. This of course is not true.
Surveys have said that defense with a gun happens between a few thousand to a million times per year in the U.S. With the Internet we are becoming more aware of these events. They are often in local media. In the majority of cases there is no police report. I've heard these stories in classes, on ranges, from law enforcement and tucked into articles like this one. I'm convinced that these kind of things happen often.

From opencarry.org:

I live out in the county. , Around 1/2 mile from me a bad guy tried a home invasion on Daniels Road. This happened just 30 minutes ago. Bad guy tried to bang the door down while the good guys wife called the sheriff. Bad guy picked the wrong door. Good guy held the bad guy at gun point, ( God Bless Texas ) until the Deputies could transport him to the jail.. Turns out, the Bad guy was on a major parol violation from the State of Texas Prison System, and was to considered armed and extremely dangerous. A very good ending of what might have been very bad. Look up the Otero family murders in Wichita Kansas. I was a Deputy Sheriff there. At dark, as Susan, my daughter can attest, I never answer my door unarmed. Sorry Susan about you former boy friend. H
The location was listed as near Wichita Falls, Texas.

Because stories of self defense are few and far between in mainstream media, there has been fostered a belief that they happen. This is pure fantasy. Back to my self defense with my knife case.

I was collecting coins from a business we have in the mall. Some undesirables noticed me and followed me outside. I was not armed but I carry a large knife and flashlight case. When confronted by an idiot who was not very determined and his friend, I patted the bulge from my large case under my shirt and told the guy he should be worried about about what I had in "here" eluding to what he thought was a gun.

The website gunssavelives.net has an area of self defense stories. You can browse by state logo find stories in your state or any other state. There are over 1500 stories.

It only stands to reason that we should defend ourselves. If you do not, you're just playing the odds. You are hoping nothing bad ever happens to you or your family. This is foolish and dangerous. Having faith in God is good, but faith without works is dead. Trust in God after all you can do.
Joseph a Smith received this revelation:

…we believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded. (Doctrine and Covenants 134:11)

Note the conditional: we are justified in defending ourselves, our family and friends, our property, and our nation when another recourse is not available given the time constraints. This caveat perfectly illustrates why every family should be armed and knowledgeable in defense. Most rely on the police to defend them should something happen, but the average response time of a police officer nationwide is seven minutes. Remember, when seconds count, the police are minutes away. This amount of time, of course, is an eternity when faced with an immediate threat. The reality is that the police do not prevent crime at all-their job is primarily to write crime reports after the crime took place. Sometimes they even get lucky and solve a crime. But by no means are they a proper and adequate substitution for personal defense.

I hope you will consider the defense of your family. In my own opinion, and that's all this is, I feel it is the responsibility and duty of every head of household to ensure the safety and defense of their family. If you are confident in doing this without a gun, then mire power to you. Other weapons re available and hand to hand combat us an option. I like redundancy so other opinions are good. But my Prichard defense in a gun. What happens when the priesthood holder is not at home? I endure my family has the tools and training to defend each other. I feel that is part of the duty too.

Don't be found short in this area.

Get trained and get training for your family.

Semper Paratus

Check 6

Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment