Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Home Defense Bag: A Bump In The Night

Last weekend I was reading late at night. My wife was asleep and 2 of my teenaged kids were gone spending the night in other places. My 3rd teenager I had just seen about an hour before going to bed. She had not come down the stairs so I knew she was still in her room, presumably asleep. I heard a crash downstairs. The cat was at the foot of the bed. Maybe one of the kids that were supposed to be out were back. No, if that was so they could not have gotten in because I had locked the front door and there is a lock on it that cannot be unlocked from outside. All these things went through my mind quickly. I grabbed a 9mm and a flashlight and carefully made my way downstairs turning on lights as I went. I was able to go through every room finding nothing out of place and no one. I even checked the front of the house, turning on the porch light and seeing the dog look up at me through the window. She had been asleep, not up barking. Short of a ghost, I don’t know what make the crash sound. I expected pans in the dish drain to have finally given up their precarious perch. But I found nothing.
I’ve thought about that experience. I was fairly prepared with a gun and bright light. If it wa indeed one of my kids come home early I would have been able to recognize the target and not shot one of my family members. I am grateful it was nothing and that I didn’t have to try and defend myself and those upstairs. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone out my front door in pajama bottoms and a t-shirt because the dog was going crazy or the chickens were making a racket. I finally put a baseball bat in the corner behind the front door and a shotgun up high near the front door too. I think I need to add a flashlight to that preparation too. I should never go out that door at night without a light and a weapon. We live in the country and are fairly isolated so neighbors are not an issue.
I have since reviewed my gear and procedures if something like that ever happened again. I think that maybe grabbing my cell phone, putting on some sort of foot covering, and waking my wife to tell her where I was going, might be some changes I would implement. I’ve also considered hiding a gun near the front door so as to not provide a gun to someone who just broke in. Also, I took the only gun readily available in our bed room. I left my wife having to go to the hall to retrieve a gun we have hidden there instead of providing her something faster and closer if I were to leave. This made me think that maybe a defense
What or how have you prepared for the Bump in the night?
As I’ve mentioned before, I like kits. Get home bags, bug out bags, first aid kits, all of these strike a chord with me.
So I offer a Home Defense Bag.
Use a sturdy bag preferably with a grab handle and a shoulder strap so it can be put on over sleeping clothes if need be.
Suggested inventory:
Gun
Defense weapon of choice. I like a hand gun because of it’s portability. A riot shotgun would be another choice. Whatever gun you choose, be proficient in it’s use.
Flash light
Cell phone
Knife. My favorite folder. Other choices for a backup weapon could be pepper spray. I’d recommend bear spray. Another would be a defensive wand. You should have some training with these weapons.
Keys. House, car, gate, etc.
2 spare magazines if using a autoloader.
Spare ammo for whichever gun you choose.
Spare knife. Preferably a rescue type with glass breaker and seatbelt cutter.
Spare flashlight and batteries.
Pad and pen
First aid kit (level 1)
Multi tool
Restraints. Handcuffs or zip ties.
You should have some sort of foot wear near. Something with a tread such as slippers with a sole.
Wear dark or subdued colored night clothes. If you find yourself sneaking around your house you don’t want to be obvious to an intruder.
This bag can also double as a vehicle defense bag.
Having something at your fingertips is an important aspect of preparedness especially late at night in the dark.
The reason I like kits is that they give me a peace of mind and security in knowing that it’s always there for my support. Remember, gear is only a support role. Training and experience are more important than gear.
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment