Monday, December 10, 2018

Gun Inventory: A Man Has To Know His Limitations

“I know what guns I have, why do I need an inventory?” This was the question I received when I suggested to some students that they inventory their guns. My answer to his question is this, do you know the serial numbers of all your guns? Do you have a picture of each gun so there is no question if your gun is stolen or your house burns down? If you have a gun for years and then sell it, wouldn’t it be good to have information on that gun if the police come looking for it because it was used in crime and your bought it from Cabella’s? Having specifics and a picture of your guns, and even selling information, can save you a lot of headaches.
There are several apps for your phone or device or programs for your computer. These make it easy to keep track of everything including accessories like magazines and scopes. Also there are some that keep track of ammunition in the same way.
I have played around with some of these apps but I prefer just a general record. On my Word document I include:
Make, model, caliber, barrel length, finish/color, capacity, and action
Serial number
How many magazines I have for that particular gun
Purchase information
When, cost, seller, location
If gun was sold:
Buyer information, date sold
Picture of the gun from all sides
Where the gun is stored (I even put what color the case is if it’s in a case)
The reason I keep inventory is so that I can keep track of our guns. Knowing where they are is important to me if they are stashed or locked up in places other than our main safe. I won’t get into this in depth but we live in the country in a secluded location. We have guns safely put in various locations in our home and out of our home. You may even want to cache some guns or ammo. It’s important to know where your guns are to maintain control of them and for safety reasons. I use my guns often and I try to maintain a routine of keeping them in the same places to keep them safe and secure.
It’s also good to know the exact model numbers when shopping for accessories. If you have more than 5 guns the salient details of each gun may escape your memory.
In addition to an electronic inventory I have a binder that I keep all hard copy items concerning my guns. I have manuals, receipts for both guns purchased and guns sold. I keep specific info or instructions I’ve pulled off the internet about specific modifications I may have done to each gun. I keep insurance info in there. I keep updated gun laws for my state in there. I have applications for concealed carry or maybe FFL information. I keep hard copies of training in this binder and a log of due dates for licenses and certifications.
These records can also have pictures taken of them and be included in your electronic record.
Records are very important because they can tell a story of gun history such as repairs. It can give a history of training also.
Keeping records can be very beneficial to your gun world. I highly recommend you use it to the utmost of your advantage. If any guns are stolen or my house burns down I want a record of my investments in guns for insurance and legal reasons.
Be organized and keep an inventory.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment