Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Nationalism and Patriotism

I’ve been accused of many things. Usually I don’t care because I have an attitude problem. Usually I don’t care about my attitude problem being a problem for someone else. I’ve lived in a few places. One place that I identify with is the state of Texas. I like the pride that Texans have of their independence and the perceived arrogance of being a Texan. Some people have a problem with that. That is a problem they must “struggle” with. Because of my attitude problem I don’t care about others problems that they can fix with an attitude adjustment. My family has a saying that actually came from my son-in-laws family. It is “Suck it up, cupcake!” And so I usually dole out this advice as a product of my attitude.
Why do liberals have such a problem with those who love their country? I call it patriotism and they call it nationalism and ultimately racism (sometimes I think liberals think EVERYTHING is racism!). I’ve tried to explain that I don’t think I’m a racist. I have lived and now live among those not of my race. I am actually the minority. I accept that and have actually embraced many cultural and linguistic differences that I’ve known for years. But because I feel that the interests of the United States should come first in this country I am labeled a “nationalist” and “xenophobic”. I really don’t think it’s a bad thing to care about my country and its interests. I know that it is unrealistic to think that the U.S. is not affected by other countries or that we don’t affect other countries. I have no problem with other countries. I think the citizens of other countries should feel about their country the way I feel about mine. I was raised to have national pride and a love for my country. My father served during WWII and my Grandfather served in WWI. I have fought aggressors while wearing the flag of the U.S. I’ve watched my brothers die for this country. That changes you a little. So when I push a nationalist agenda I am doing so without malice for other races and other countries. I am also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This church is global. There are more members outside the U.S. than in the U.S. So I can understand my Church being more world-wide than I am. Also the gospel of Jesus Christ includes everyone in the world. God is not interested in borders. This too I understand. But I am different from the extreme right. I don’t think this country would be as great as it is without immigrants and the melting pot of race that is here. So, liberals and other small children, not everyone that doesn’t agree with you is racist. Some of us have given our blood for this country. We have a close bond with this country and its symbols. We can live with you and your views but I’m not sure you can live with us. So, call us what you may, and we will try to explain. You may, or may not care about my explanation. That is OK. The only thing I ask is that you not get in my face with your views and opinion. I can listen to them, and respect you for your opinion, but if you try to shove it down my throat I will not warm to the idea. When someone is aggressive with me I seem to double down and close and engage. It’s in my nature and my training and comes from past experiences. If you don’t care about my “feelings” then that’s OK too. Just know what you may get if you get in my face. I have tried to control myself over the years.
I don’t completely understand why Nationalism is a bad thing? Some think that nationalists feel that nothing would come before the interests of our country. I don’t think that precludes a country from being charitable, and helping other countries that need help. We do not think that laws should be broken to do this. But to survive as a country we need to strive to take care of ourselves. This doesn’t mean that we don’t trade with other countries either. But sanctions and tariffs might be something needed to influence countries to try and do right things. We are Americans first, members of the world second.
Nationalism has been used to equal white supremacy and it just is not so. I tell you one thing that gets under my skin is skinheads that use certain symbols and then all of a sudden anyone who uses that symbol is a supremacist. The Confederate flag for instance. All of sudden it means racism. In reality the civil war was not a war of slavery, but an economic war. Some people on the left have an idea that anything that reminds us of a civil war is racist. I think they would like to change history. I wish they would just leave history alone. If I found I was related to a horse thief (which I probably am) then I don’t think ignoring the fact or hoping no one will notice would change the fact.
While the words patriotism and nationalism were once considered synonyms, they have taken on different connotations. While both are the feelings of love people feel for their country, the values upon which those feelings are based are very different.
Feelings of patriotism are based on the positive values the country embraces like freedom, justice, and equality. The patriot believes that both the system of government and the people of their country are inherently good and work together for a better quality of life.
In contrast, feelings of nationalism are based on a belief that one’s country is superior to all others. It also carries a connotation of distrust or disapproval of other countries, leading to the assumption that other countries are rivals. I do not believe that nationalism means being better than anyone else. I think sometimes people read into words things that are just not there. Liberals tend to do this a lot. That’s why it seems like everything offends them.
I believe that we should have our country in our best interests. But then again, I think other countries should do the same. No country should treat another country bad. If we believe that we are truly a good country then we should show it by being kind and benevolent to the world. At times that has got us into trouble. I think we have honestly tried to fight communism and tyrants in the past but sometimes that does not work as it should.
I think it’s amazing to think that a country exists that believes it’s important to safeguard individuals rights even for those intent on destroying that same country. It matters not if you are left or right, Republican, Democrat, or Libertarian, your rights are important.
I’m not sure of the difference between a nationalist and a patriot. But I am in favor of the United States taking care of itself. I’m not naïve and know that helping other countries, trading with other countries, and sometimes protecting other countries is the best for our own country. We should be the champions of freedom through-out this entire world.
I think labeling is not generally a good thing. I often label people liberal or left. I don’t think giving your opinion about the way someone behaves is necessarily labeling. Maybe some whining, leftist, commie, snowflake, would prefer my “in your face” labeling, if that is true then me and my attitude would probably oblige.
Can’t we all just get along?

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment