Monday, June 22, 2020

Threat Indicators in Church, Etc

It was late at night just past 1 AM. I don’t normally get off work that late. I needed gas and the place I normally get it I knew was closed. So I stopped at a 24 hour convenience store with pretty good lighting. I got my gas that I paid for at the pump. I was putting up the pump getting ready to leave when out from behind the pump I saw a guy coming toward me. I put up my hand and said “Hold on buddy!” He was a little shocked I guess and he stopped. I got into my vehicle and sped away. What had he wanted? Did he want directions? I had not seen another vehicle. Was he a homeless guy looking for spare change? I didn’t stick around to find out. Was I paranoid? Maybe. I was armed but I did not want to get into a conflict. It had been 100 degrees that day and so it was still 80 out. Why was he wearing a hoody? I didn’t really want to find out. Did I profile the guy? You bet I did. For my own safety. I think he was a white guy but I wasn’t that interested in race. He was walking at a quick enough pace that I thought I saw determination in his step.
Anyone who says they do not profile is either lying or just not paying attention. To be safe we must make some type of judgement call.
In 2014, the FBI published “A Study of the Pre-Attack Behaviors of Active Shooters in the United States.” The study examines 63 active shooting incidents in the US between 2000 and 2013, in an attempt to identify “those who may be on a pathway to deadly violence.”
In it, a single demographic data point clearly distinguishes American mass shooters from other citizens: 94% were men. In a separate FBI study published in April 2018, analyzing 50 active shooter incidents between 2016 and 2017, all shooters were male.
Most active shooters were also either single (57%) at the time of shooting, or divorced or separated (22%).
According to the 2014 study, mass shooters are mostly white (63%), but that is in line with the 60% of the US population that identifies as white and non-Hispanic.
There is much more in this study.
Read the entire study here: https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/pre-attack-behaviors-of-active-shooters-in-us-2000-2013.pdf/view
But from this study and other law enforcement encounters we can comfortably create some pre attack indicators for those intent on doing violence.
Identifying Physical Pre-Attack Indicators
Physical pre attack indicators include appearance and dress, and can include:
• Oversized clothes or clothes not appropriate for event/weather
• Keeping hands in pockets/concealed
• Confirmation touch (repositioning weapon)
• Small bulges near waist or hip
• Adjusting waistband or clothing
• Undo Attention to carried objects
• Oversized torso or bulky jacket/vest
• Favoring one side (strong side)
• Blading (turning body to protect weapon
Identifying Behavioral Pre-Attack Indicators
Behavioral pre-attack indicators include overt actions and more subtle gestures. These may include:
• Minimizing door-to-door distance from vehicle (parking in fire lanes, etc.)
• Low familiarity with the area
• Nervousness
• Mental discomfort
• Tunnel vision/1,000-yard stare
• Repeated comments and/or prayer
• Muttering
• Difficulty making decisions
• Trouble communicating
• Repeated entries/exits to the area
These are only a few indicators but a good place to start. When you see these indicators, usually there are more than one, but not all, keep close eye on this person.
Learn body language and keep high situational awareness. Stay in yellow until you see some of these indicators then go to orange. When the behavior changes or you see indicators of other things, go back to yellow. (See “Situational Awareness Day 2019” 9/19/2019 for Coopers Color Codes)
These are especially important to learn for those who serve in Bishoprics or those who are on the stand through meetings. Being up on the stand is a vantage point where you can see most of the congregation. If this applies to you learn these indicators and more. If possible get trained in situational awareness and threat indicators.
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment