Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Get Home Bag

Most of the country have experienced record high temperatures last Summer and we were no different. In the southwest we are used to no rain. In our area we have had no significant rain all year. But one night we experienced a real thunderstorm! I don’t normally work evenings but I happened to be at work that night. The storm hit right as I was leaving work. Lot’s of lightning, rain, and wind. I could hardly see the road as I made my way home. We live out of town about 4 miles and a few miles off the highway. Once I get off the highway we have about 3 significant low water crossings I was worried about. I came to the first and could see it flowing. Around here, if you can see it flowing it’s deep enough to take your car away. It only takes 2 inches anyway. So there I sat wondering when I would get home in a pouring rain, watching the lightning. It was hot but I couldn’t open the windows, of course. I was sweating and I thought maybe dehydration might be a problem. I had several bottles of water in the car so that wouldn’t be a problem. I got out of the car once to check a crossing and by the time I got back in I was drenched. I wish I’d had a poncho or rain jacket of some kind. Even a large garbage bag would have worked. I carry a flashlight and multi-tool so I had that. Every car we have has a folding knife and a lighter in the glove compartment. We try to keep pain reliever in there too. I really wish I’d have had an emergency kit when I needed it. I was only stranded there for about 30 minutes but it felt like hours. The rain calmed down, I found a crossing on a different road that got me home and I was in bed by midnight. As usual, the experience made me think of my lack of preparedness. I did have a cell phone and water. I could have cut a water bottle to collect rainwater if I needed to. This experience prompted me to research and put together a “get home” kit. Here is the list I came up with and I will explain my logic for the items I feel are the most important. Car Kit Suggested Items Purified water (2 liters/person) Food, (3 day supply requiring no cooking) Blanket, sleeping bag or emergency metallic space blanket Large plastic garbage bag, poncho or rain gear Can opener (P38) 2, ½ rolls toilet paper Compass and map, mirror, whistle Matches, striker, light sticks Pepper spray Tube tent Water straw filter Flashlights (extra batteries) Knife or multi-tool Eating utensils 550 Para cord, fish line, hooks Leather gloves, N95 masks Personal Items: Shower cap (to keep fallout out of your hair) Chapstick, hairbrush, hand lotion Feminine supplies, Toothbrush & toothpaste Soap, washcloth, small towel, razor Extra eyeglasses (even if you wear contacts) Deodorant Change of clothing, jacket, shoes, socks, underwear, hat Infant needs, if necessary Level 1 first aid kit Cold weather clothing, paint can alcohol heater (I’ve added these for those who live in cold areas, or areas that snow. We very rarely have any significant snow) This is a fairly complete kit. Items in bold are considered necessary. I’ll go through the first 9 items that I feel are essential. Remember my acronym SWiFFS? It stands for: shelter, water, food, fire, security. I think these things, in this order, are the very basics of survival. Some ask me why shelter first? Most of the time shelter is first but under certain circumstances water is first. There are times when first aid, which is not even on my list, will come first. Usually a shelter will be at the top though. If you are protected from the elements you will have a place to go to eat and drink and get warm. Sometimes water overshadows shelter. Notice on my list is water first. That is because you are already in a car for shelter. Of course food is next. Be sure to have plenty of water. The list says 2 liters per person but to be honest with you, I’d have about a gallon per person. I keep about 4 gallons. Yes it is a hassle securing it and keeping it fresh. But I live in a desert, and I want as much water as I can stand to deal with. That’s in my Jeep Cherokee. It will generally hold about 4 people. A larger vehicle, like years ago we had an Expedition, however holds 6 gallons. Anyway, find out what will work for you and adjust accordingly. Shelter also equals warmth and protection from the elements. I love wool blankets! They are light and very warm. They also retain most of their warmth properties even when wet. I also carry an emergency “foil” blanket. A poncho is a life saver. I like them because even the cheap ones do what they are designed to do. Wind does affect them a lot, but that can be said for many things. A can opener is a great necessity. There are many kinds of can openers but I like the old military style “P38”. It is small, and light. I carry one on my keychain but also in my kit. Being able to start a fire is a skill all people should have. A fire can purify water, cook food, give warmth, give light, give security and comfort, and it may be used to signal many miles away. Fire is extremely versatile. Having something to help you start a fire is truly priceless. Toilet paper is the best thing in your kit when it is needed. I have a roll vacuum packed and another in a zip loc bag. It can be used as a fire starter too! A compass can save your life, literally. Having a compass and map and knowing how to use it gives me great security and confidence. If you don't know anything about this, learn. The internet is full of websites and videos that teach this skill in detail. Or find a Boy Scout Troop in your area. They would be glad to teach you. A mirror and whistle can also save your life if you are lost. Using a mirror takes a little skill and practice but it's pretty simple. Pepper spray is a great small, light, non-lethal weapon. It will work on a man and some animals such as a dog. My family knows one of my rules is “Never leave home without a knife, or gun” Pepper spray is an alternative to lethal weapons. They take a little training too so ask someone who may know. Do you have a friend in law enforcement? They would be able to teach you the basics of using pepper spray. A “get home” kit could save your life at worst, or just get you home in a disaster or time of trouble. Don't forget to rotate your food, water, medicines, and anything else that could expire. Like your personal bug out bag, a get home bag will give safety, security, and peace or mind. This article is far from complete. Like all kit, these things are personal and should be tailored to you and your family's needs. Research and remember sometimes less is more. Semper Paratus Check 6 Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment