Every Memorial Day I hear from about 8 guys. These 8 inform me about how they are doing mentally, physically, and spiritually. They also offer connection with several others, additionally about their status. By the end of the day, I have a pretty good picture about the 27 survivors of grid 4143 in Panama. 30 survived, 27 are left. Last Memorial Day (2026) was no different and I had plenty of accounts. As this group gets older there are stories of medical issues but for the most part all are doing well physically. Mentally, there are only a few who aren’t affected as much as the majority. There are several levels of PTSD because several of those 27 stayed in dangerous jobs.
But in communicating with one particular guy, I learned some interesting facts about our Panamanian vacation.
Jason “Jujubee” Davis (WIA)-6 years Air Force, Career PMC, Blackwater, MVM, and G4S. Jason is an interesting guy. He is quiet but intense. Jason worked in intelligence in the Air Force and then had a career in government contract work. He is from South Carolina and joined the military to get out of his small town, and the gigantic lumber mill that his entire family had worked for 3 generations. He worked for 3 different PMC’s (private military contractor). 2 U.S. companies and a British company.
Juju was connected to, deployed with, and had even worked for (double dipped occasionally) the “Company” or the C.I.A.
He was over-the-top patriotic and did not play well with someone who was not. He is a great proponent of freedom and standing up for the right.
I checked on his health, mental and physical, and he mentioned Panama and our central American vacation. He mentioned how intelligence failed us in our adventure. In 1987 and 1988 there were several incidents that would have pointed to a larger conflict that we experienced. He also mentioned that intel knew we were going into an ambush. The reason it was not such a devastating, overwhelming battle was the underestimation of the timing, and ferocity of our defense. They knew we were going to be surprised and estimated there would be an 80% loss and 20% capture rate. They knew who they were sending and what training and experience was there and that there were only 34 of us. They did not count on us being as good as we were. They also didn’t count on the PDF being as bad as they were. He said the report gave specific details about the PDF. There were 282 PDF troops including commanders. They outnumbered us 8 to 1. They had 1 50 caliber jeep mounted gun. They had 1 120 mm mortar. AK’s and Star and Taurus pistols. Several Soviet RPGs. According to Juju’s contacts, the Army had the intel from the CIA but did not share it with the Air Force. Once we were engaged, the Army told the Air Force what was supposed to happen. The Army did authorize air support though they didn’t think they would need to provide it. They thought we would not last the initial ambush and that we wouldn’t have enough time before being overrun to ask for support or exfil. We did have the time, so they gave us Apache’s. Had the weather cooperated, we would have been out of there pretty early in the fight. Had we stayed longer than we did, we would have lost more guys. Apparently, the government wanted to use this incident, us getting killed and captured, to further their plans to invade Panama and grab Noriega. We were human fodder to carry out the plans of others.
I don’t know if I should be angry or offended. I think I’ll just chalk this up to government garbage and not take it personally. I can understand nut jobs that blow up buildings or shoot up government facilities. I said I understood, not condoned. The feeling of betrayal from the country you swear to protect is palpable. I can see where the acts of well-meaning or evil men would spiral someone into anger and hate. It doesn’t change the fact that I took an oath to support presidents, corrupt or otherwise, and allegiance to a country that allows me and my family freedoms very few in this world get. If not for a superior force and great training the 27 of us who are left from the original 34 may not be here. Many of us went on to serve this country with great honor. Regardless of the plans of evil men, we were able to overcome their plans and continue on. Most of those involved thrived in their lives with families, jobs, and living the American Dream. I believe that being treated this way would have been disastrous in a lesser country than the United States of America.
Why do I tell this story? It is a commentary on the crazy idea and experiment we call the United States of America. I can say with a level of assuredness that the great freedoms that we enjoy in this country also gives evil people opportunities to do corrupting things to elevate their power or bank account. I could be bitter about my experience. I am sad about the loss of life on both sides. But when you sign up to serve, you risk the chance that you may have to give your life. You don’t ask why, that’s a question for others to ask. I don’t like the idea of someone giving their life for an unjust cause. But the guys we lost were helping their brothers to get home in one piece. It may have been a waste, all war is a waste, but they did not die in vain. They died for me. And for you.
My point is, there are many instances where those who have sworn to do difficult and dangerous jobs, military, first responders, and others, give the ultimate sacrifice for those whom they serve. Please remember this and know that this country is worth it. Maybe not always our government is worthy, but the idea of this country is well worth it. Many in this country don’t appreciate what they have or think other ideas or ideologies may be better. I do not agree. I’ve been to several other countries and have seen other ways to govern. We have the best the world has to offer. It is not perfect and with great freedom comes more risk of corruption and activities that are not lawful or good for people or the country. I fought for the freedom that others have to promote ideas I may not agree with. Let everyone be on notice: You can bring other ideas and ways you feel this country should be changed but know that people like me will fight you (legally not physically) to protect what we have and the freedoms we feel are gifts from God as did the founding fathers. One particular thing that threatens our freedom is Sharia law. This is something that I feel is a direct threat to our freedom and way of life.
Learn what others are trying to propose and push that undermines our laws and country. Fight against it legally and lawfully. They exist and should be defeated. Please be aware and active in safeguarding this country that I risked my life to protect.
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn
No comments:
Post a Comment