Monday, April 13, 2015

EDC: Important Part Of Preparation

Everyone has an EDC system. You don’t have to be military, law enforcement, a prepper, into self-sufficiency, or any other label you can think of. Everyone does it. A young Mother may pack a purse catering to her baby or children’s needs. An electrician will probably have certain tools he always has with him. An EMT may carry certain tools or supplies that fit his training and expertise.
These days most people carry some common things. A cell phone, wallet, pen, sun glasses. This is all EDC. EDC is very tailored to you.
When I was younger I played a lot of basketball. Once in a while I would get a blister and didn’t want to stop playing. I started to carry a Band aid in my wallet and still do to this day. I upgraded to two Band aids because I’d use one and forget to replace it. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used that band aid.
Some of you may have use for a multi tool. That may become your EDC. Not that it matters, but I carry a multi tool, a flashlight, something to start a fire (a firesteel), tweezers, a tac pen, safety pin, para chord, credit card knife, 2 band aids, gun, extra magazine. My car keys have a cheap button compass, carabineer, P38 can opener (this is more for nostalgia, it was my P38 from basic training), a pocketknife-key, and consecrated oil.
None of what I carry matters really. I carry these items for different reasons. Most of it I use on a regular basis. Some I have never used, but I’m comfortable carrying it. On occasion I will review everything and re-evaluate whether I should carry that item or not.
Think of your EDC in levels. With Level 1 is what you carry on your body. You should be able to survive the threat at hand with level 1. These items should support your next level.
Level 2 for me is my “Get home bag” that I carry in each of my vehicles. I’ve also always carried in each vehicle a first aid kit, small tool kit, and water.
My get home bag has food and other items in a back pack. If I had to, I could walk away from my vehicle to reach my next level.
Level 3 is not really EDC but my home. I have food, water, fuel, animals, alternative power, etc. I would prefer to shelter in place (SIP) in a disaster or emergency. But I have a contingency to SIP.
Level 4 is also not really an EDC level. It is our bug-out plan. It too involves a vehicle or on foot.
All of this comprises our preparedness plan. EDC levels 1 and 2 are a very important part of this plan.
Break down all these levels for yourself and look at what you carry in each level as building blocks. Redundancy should be present in your plan where it is necessary. For instance I believe shelter, water, food, fire, and security, the basics of survival, should have redundancy. (I refer to the basics by the acronym SWiFFS) Everything you store should be supported by skills. If you have a tool for instance, you should know how to use that tool properly. This goes for all your gear EDC or not.
What you carry and store should fit you and your family’s needs. This is why a plan is so important. Make a plan that will take care of your needs and practice it.
EDC is an important step in your preparation. I feel naked without my EDC. I hope to need none of it but also know better.
For me it’s easier to consider my preparation in small bites like levels. It makes it all less over whelming. Look at your EDC and tailor it to your skills. You should always be learning skills and changing your preparation plans and gear.
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment