Friday, September 25, 2020

Finding Ammo

I am always behind the curve. If there is one drawback to being prepared it’s that you don’t notice shortages until it’s too late! I hadn’t bought ammo in a while because one: I buy in bulk when I do buy, and two, I don’t buy very often because I have ammo storage. Just like food storage with ammo you can shop sales and good deals when you have enough. But that’s how I missed the run on guns and ammo. I also live outside a small town and am limited to where I can buy ammo locally. So I didn’t see it coming. The reason of course is many fold. It’s an election year and some are afraid the Dems will take over and start banning things. Then there is the COVID-19 so more people are home and are thinking about home security. Then to top it off there has been civil unrest and that drives up the insecurity even more. Guns sales are way up and it’s estimated that 40% of guns sales are new gun owners. That means there’s probably no existing ammo in these new gun owner’s homes, so they need to buy some. Then also with empty shelves comes some panic, or just “I’ll pick up a box because I may not be able to later” which of course is self-fulfilling prophecy. Another factor driving increased demand, and higher prices as well are the huge numbers of new gun owners entering the market. With sales at over 8 million guns and going strong, that's a lot of new owners buying guns. They're also buying ammo, but unlike people who have been doing this for a while, they have no idea what ammo is “supposed” to cost. To someone who moved to Texas from LA and now they want a gun, paying $25.99 for a box of 9mm seems reasonable, because that's just what it costs at the moment. There are ways to find ammo though. My local gun store has a waiting list. As soon as they get a shipment in, they call, reserve 100 rounds, and then I pick it up. It’s more than what I paid at Walmart, but Walmart doesn’t carry handgun ammo anymore. I don’t mind a slight rise in prices. I realize that is supply and demand. But I’ve noticed some places on line that are significantly higher. I’m not sure that will change even if supply goes up. I read an article from a guy in the Houston, Texas area who drove 30 something miles to 4 or 5 locations and he was able to pick up ammo of different calibers that he was looking for. He said it took some time, and the prices were a little higher, but it was livable. I would suggest doing this by phone and asking the store to put aside their limit of what they will sell you. Then I would suggest going right to that store. Some stores may not reserve it for you so you must be prompt. Here are many ammunition search engines to help you in your online search. I’ve always used gunbot.net. I’ve noticed sometimes the search engine will say it is in stock, but you go to the businesses website and it is out of stock. Some websites will notify you if they get that particular item back in stock. Again, don’t hesitate when notified. Order it as fast as possible. Be ready for higher prices. The prices I have seen lately are about double the regular prices. I hope that can change as the supply returns to normal. I would also fasten your seat belts, it’s going to be a long, bumpy ride back to normal. https://ammoseek.com/ammo/ https://www.ammobuy.com/ https://www.bulkcheapammo.com/public/ http://www.gunbot.net/ http://ammoexpress.com/ I hope these will be able to help you in your search. Good luck! Semper Paratus Check 6 Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment