Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Cleanliness Is Next to Godliness: Clean Your Guns, Be More Like...well you get the picture!

First we should talk about a cleaning kit. There are many on the market. Actually an incredible amount on the market. I would suggest finding one that you think will meet your needs and starting there. Here’s my take on bought “kits”, whether they be gun cleaning, first aid, or bug out bags. Most of these kits are only a starting point. With gun cleaning, I would find a list and start there building my own. Over the years my cleaning kit has morphed into a cleaning/repair kit. The basics of a cleaning kit are:
Cleaning solvent (find one that doesn’t harm polymer) non-chlorine ie. Breakfree CLP, Hoppe’s #9, etc.
Lubricant (gun oil)
A bore brush (for each caliber or gauge)
A patch holder and patches (for each caliber or gauge)
Cleaning rod (universal for pistols or rifles, 1 for shotguns)
Nylon cleaning brush (I’ve bought “gun” brushes, but mostly use an old toothbrush)
Flashlight (bore light can pull double duty)
Cotton swabs (q-tips or medical applicators)
Cloths (I use one to spread out as a cover cloth, and then others to clean and polish, cotton)
These are the basics. I have added: A small wire brush, fine steel wool, fine sand paper, dental picks, tooth picks, a small mayo-jar lid, bore light, set of screw drivers, Hex keys, hemostats/forceps, gun grease, spare parts and various screws, very small hammer, bore snake, bore mops. I would add manuals for each gun. I have a separate notebook full of manuals and other info about each gun.
Like other kits, a gun cleaning kit can be simple or elaborate. They are tailored to what guns you own and to your individual tastes and needs.
Next we should talk about safety.
The four gun rules apply when cleaning a weapon. They are:
1. All guns are always loaded!
2. Never let the gun muzzle point at anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the guard until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and beyond.
These rules are in effect even when you clean a gun. I also recommend another hard and fast rule.
NO ammo on the table or in the room where you clean your gun. No exceptions! If you clean your gun in the room where you store your ammo, change rooms. Get a card table or TV tray. If weather permits clean your gun on the patio. Your family will appreciate this since solvents and gun oil smell. For me I keep one other “rule”. I have to watch John Wayne’s “The Green Beret” movie when I clean my guns. I guess you can skip this “rule”. But that’s the only one! The rest stand.

Here is the gun cleaning steps:
1. Get your kit. We discussed these kits above.
2. Unload your gun! Remember my ammo rule.
3. Disassemble gun as much as manufacturer recommends. (I know many of you experienced gun nuts will balk at this.) These are the basics so until you learn more about your particular gun, follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
4. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area. (One man’s smell is another man’s aromatherapy!)
5. Clean out barrel and bore. Use clean patches.
6. Lubricate the barrel. Remember only a light coating. Nothing should obstruct the bore or barrel.
7. Clean and lubricate the action. Scrape areas that have residue buildup. That’s what the tools and scrapers and brushes are for.
8. Wipe down parts and reassemble. Take special care to follow your manual.
9. Wipe down the whole gun with a clean cloth.
Store your guns in a cool, dry environment. A temperature controlled area is best.
Remember that polymer is plastic. It is very hard but is still a form of plastic and can be cracked, scratched, and scored.
I recommend cleaning your guns after each use. Do I always do this? I have to be honest, I do not. With new polymers, coatings, and metals, not to mention ammunition, I’ve found that it’s not so bad to not clean after every use. But like changing the oil on your vehicle, your gun will last longer and perform better if you keep it clean and well lubed.
For me it has also been a fun experience to clean guns as a family! My wife is tired of the The Green Beret movie though…

Semper Paratus
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment