Friday, October 12, 2018

Words To Live By: Code Of Conduct

When I served in the military I had to memorize the code of conduct. This supposed to be a code that helps military members conduct their lives. It states:

Code of Conduct for Members of the United States Armed Forces
1. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.
2. I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.
3. If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.
4. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.
5. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.
6. I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
I’ve thought about those “rules” of that code and how each of us need our own code of conduct. Actually we have one, whether we recognize it or have written them down or not. I was a fan of the TV show NCIS and I enjoyed the part of Gibbs played by Mark Harmon. Gibbs had his own rules he tried to live by. They are:
Gibbs’ Rules
Rule No. 1 – Never let suspects stay together.
Rule No. 1 – Never screw (over) your partner.
Rule No. 2 – Always wear gloves at a crime scene.
Rule No. 3 – Don’t believe what you’re told. Double check.
Rule No. 3 – Never be unreachable.
Rule No. 4 – If you have a secret, the best thing is to keep it to yourself. The second-best is to tell one other person is you must. There is no this best.
Rule No. 5 – You don’t waste good.
Rule No. 6 – Never say you’re sorry. It’s a sign of weakness.
Rule No. 7 – Always be specific when you lie.
Rule No. 8 – Never take anything for granted.
Rule No. 9 – Never go anywhere without a knife.
Rule No. 10 – Never get personally involved in a case.
Rule No. 11 – When the job is done, walk away.
Rule No. 12 – Never date a co-worker.
Rule No. 13 – Never, ever involve a lawyer.
Rule No. 14 – Bend the line, don’t break it.
Rule No. 15 – Always work as a team.
Rule No. 16 – If someone things that have the upper hand, break it.
Rule No. 18 – It’s better to seek forgiveness than ask permission.
Rule No. 20 – Always look under.
Rule No. 22 – Never, ever bother Gibbs in interrogation.
Rule No. 23 – Never mess with a Marine’s coffee… If you want to live.
Rule No. 27 – There are two ways to follow someone. First way, they never notice you. Second way, they only notice you.
Rule No. 28 – If you need help, ask!
Rule No. 35 – Always watch the watchers.
Rule No. 36 – If you feel like you are being played, you probably are.
Rule No. 38 – Your case, your lead.
Rule No. 39 – There is no such thing as coincidence.
Rule No. 40 – If it seems someone is out to get you, they are.
Rule No. 42 – Never accept an apology from someone who just sucker-punched you.
Rule No. 44 – First things first, hide the women and children.
Rule No. 45 – Clean up the mess you leave behind; never leave behind loose ends.

I liked the idea of coming up with your own code of conduct years ago and so I developed my own. They are:

1. God, Family, Country (In that order)
2. Family should never fight alone
3. Service and charity never fails
4. Avoid debt like you would a disease
5. Ain’t no one happy, unless Momma’s happy
6. Never give up if the task is just
7. Work smarter, not harder
8. Trust but verify
9. A soldier’s way saves the day
10. Distraction kills
11. Don’t leave home without a knife or a gun
12. Be hard to offend and anger.
These rules may be amended as I learn!
I call these my “Rules of engagement”. As we engage in life we need some type of rules to keep us steady and on track. I encourage all you sheep dogs, law enforcement, and military members out there to think about your own lives and come up with your own rules of engagement.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment