Friday, November 16, 2018

Concealed Carry And Forgiveness

If you carry remember to have ADD. Avoid, Deter, De-escalate. You have to be that type of person. I consider myself to be an aggressive person. But I also try to defuse situations that will get me in trouble. I’m not politically correct, but I don’t want to find a fight. If one comes to me, I feel I can end the fight, but I don’t go looking. Remember what the ancient prophet Moroni encouraged, don’t be “...a man of blood.”
If you pay attention to the news, you’ll have most likely seen the story about a recent joke made on Saturday Night Live about former Navy SEAL and Congressman-Elect, Dan Crenshaw. The joke was made by SNL’s Pete Davidson and drew a large amount of backlash from Veteran’s organizations across the country, despite Crenshaw shaking it off.

A few weeks ago, Pete Davidson appeared on SNL offering an apology to surprise guest, Dan Crenshaw. While the appearance by Davidson and Crenshaw was shaping up to be a run-of-the-mill apology, Crenshaw turned it into an amazing message for Veteran’s Day.

“But, seriously, there’s a lot of lessons to learn here. Not just that the left and right can still agree on some things but also this, Americans can forgive one another. We can remember what brings us together as a country and still see the good in each other. This is Veteran’s Day weekend, which means that it’s a good time for every American to connect with a Veteran. Maybe say, “Thanks for your service,” but I would actually encourage you to say something else. Tell a Veteran “Never forget.” When you say “Never Forget” to a Veteran, you are implying that, as an American, you are in it with them, not separated by some imaginary barrier between civilians and Veterans, but connected together as grateful fellow Americans; who will never forget the sacrifices made by Veterans past and present. And never forget those we lost on 9/11; heroes like Pete’s father.” (Pete Davidson’s father was a firefighter who died in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.) “So I’ll just say, Pete? Never forget.”

This is a great opportunity that was taken to express real connective views. I too tire of the politics and baloney of the right and the left. I try to stay away from each of these sides as an independent. But I always find myself back toward the right when it comes down to it. But what I really like in this message is the word “forgiveness.” If more in politics and our individual opinions would remember the importance of forgiveness I think we could see more progress in this country. We don’t have to back down from our opinions, just forgive others for what we perceive as offense to our side and this country. Being offended is always a choice. We don’t have to be. Elenor Roosevelt said this:
“No one can offend you without your permission.” We can suck it up and not be offended because someone doesn’t agree with us. As a concealed carrier, we must be slow to temper and hard to offend.
Not only is it important to be this way when you carry a lethal weapon, but it makes your life much easier in every aspect. I am confident enough and self-assured enough in my own life and opinions to not be upset all the time. It takes maturity and discipline.
Forgiveness is freedom. Even if the other party remains angry and holds a grudge. You don’t have to, you can forgive and be free again.
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment