Thursday, April 4, 2019

Adding To Your Training Program

These days we can be exposed to many ideas through several kinds of media and the internet. We can come across many new ideas, techniques, and tactics we would like to incorporate into our own training program. Maybe you recently took a class where you learned something new. How do you know whether you should change your training? This has happened to me many times. My training program has changed a few times over the years. Being open minded is good, but be careful with some new ideas. When I come across these new things I test it against some things that I have learned.

Will this tactic work for most guns?
Some techniques are specific to certain kinds of guns or actions. Not all guns operate the same. I like techniques that will work for a large variety of guns. I generally carry the same two guns that I own. I have changed guns a few times throughout the years and will change again if I buy other guns. I don’t advocate changing often, but my S&W Model 19 is not the same as my Taurus semi-auto. At one time I carried a revolver for many reasons, but things have changed over the years. I need a technique that will work for most guns.

Will the tactic work in my training program?
Most people don’t train very regularly. I ask my son about his training all the time. But he’s a young father with a demanding job, a physical workout schedule, church callings, and beautiful wife to care for. He has to work it into his schedule and that ends up not being very regular. A new tactic has to not be a big change to your current training program to be effective. Keep things simple.

Will the tactic work under stress?
When your brain is in fight or flight mode fine motor skills all but disappear. Something new must be practiced until it is second nature and muscle memory takes over. I learned some immediate action drills that I can still do in my sleep with and AR. Training does work but the technique must be simple when it is used under extreme pressure.

Will the tactic work with movement?
The military teaches “Shoot, Move, Communicate”. A firefight is not standing shooting at paper. It’s noisy and dirty/dusty. You are always moving to find better cover or a better angle. So learn to shoot then move. And move then shoot. And shoot on the move. And reload in all of those situations. The enemy will be moving too so shooting at moving targets would be good too.

Will the tactic work with multiple attackers and in a crowd?
If you don’t see a threat, there’s one there. If you see one, there’s two, and so on. Often threats can come from an attacker in a crowded place. How will you deal with more than one attacker in a mall? In a restaurant? Will this new idea work under these conditions?

Will the tactic work in low light?
Many times we’ll be faced with the added burden of target identification. Unlike the bad guy, we must worry about who we are going to shoot. Remember this in training. Training in low light is necessary.

How well will the tactic work and keep the target in sight?
If you consider something new will it impede you sight? Can you reload, maneuver, and still not lose sight of the threat?
These are some things to think about when deciding to add anything to your training regime. Everyone who carries a gun should train. But be specific about your training.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment