Sunday, August 29, 2021

Beware Of Holsters!

This came to me many years ago (2011) through ITS Tactical. I highly recommend their website and store. They carry very well thought-out products that you can't fina anywhere else. This is from their blogdconcerning leather holsters. I had this very holster that I had for many years. I was not currently using it because it was worn out. That is why I stopped using it. This was a Galco but it can be any leather holster. I would recommend Galco holsters but always inspect your holster for problems like this from a well worn holster. I use a lot of pocket holsters that I replace often. But any of them could have the same problem so always be aware. Thank you ITS for the great warning and education! https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/ "Editor-in-chief’s note: We’d like to thank the anonymous individual who came forward with this important information and allowed us to get it out to everyone here at ITS Tactical. “What the hell was that?!?” she said. It took me a half a second to realize that my gun had just gone off…on my hip…in its holster. My wife and I had just finished breakfast at our favorite café and got into the car. Me being the passenger, I rotated my torso to the left to fasten my seatbelt like I always do. When I straightened again, my Glock 19 discharged, blowing a 9mm hole through my pants, underwear, the leather seat and bottom of the car’s door frame. The bullet nicked my hip, but the wound is nothing a bandage couldn’t cover. So what went wrong? Guns never go “Bang” all by themselves. After ensuring I wasn’t hemorrhaging profusely and didn’t have to make a dash for the hospital, I stayed seated in the car as my wife came around to my door and opened it. I undid my belt and slid the Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster, with the gun still in it, off my belt. Why it went off was immediately apparent. Accidental Discharge
The trusty, comfortable, leather holster I had been using for a year and two weeks had done what a baseball glove does after lots of use; It got soft. This particular holster carries the pistol outside the waistband, but inside the belt. The belt slides through slots in the outer side of the holster.
The problem stemmed from the leather on the inner side of the holster getting soft. A crease formed, which eventually was large enough to extend beyond the trigger. Manipulate the gun in just the wrong manner and this crease is no different than a finger on the trigger. Boom! I can’t say I didn’t know the crease had been formed in the holster. I trained myself to be sure that when holstering, to make sure the gun was fully in the holster, with the trigger protected. On this day, did I forget to do that when I holstered up? Did the leather finally get so soft that a combination of body movements and interference by the cushy leather seat move the Glock enough to create a situation where the trigger was engaged by the holster? I don’t think we’ll ever know for sure, but I’ll humbly admit to the former as the likely culprit. However, if it was the latter, then those of you who use this type of holster need to be aware of its limitations and the possibility of experiencing what I did.
It might have been a very different story had the incident happened while we were dining. That bullet ricocheting off the concrete floor could have done untold damage and just as easily killed somebody. Fortunately nobody got hurt and damage to the car was minimal. It will be an interesting conversation with the insurance company to see if they’ll cover the repairs. Lessons Learned
Holstering your gun can be just as important as drawing it. Make sure you pay attention when doing so. If your leather is getting soft and worn, be sure that it won’t interfere with your trigger or just replace it. The back of the slide and/or grip was being pushed downward into the leather holster…or the holster was being pushed upward with some force. My guess is the firearm was being pushed and the fold in the holster acted as a finger and depressed the Glock trigger safety. This truly brings home the importance of taking care of your equipment and ensuring it’s in proper working order. Hopefully you can learn from my situation and prevent an accident like this from happening to you. Editor-in-chief’s note: We’d like to thank the anonymous individual who came forward with this important information and allowed us to get it out to everyone here at ITS Tactical. Please share this with everyone you know that carries in a leather holster!" Be careful out there! Semper Paratus Check 6 Burn

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I remember this very event and post. As always, it is very important to check your carry gear carefully. And I always have preferred a carry gun with some sort of manual safety lever.
    My first carry gun was actually a 9 round .22 cal. H & R revolver. My second one was a P 64, basically a clone of a Walther PPK, in 9 mm Makarov.
    Since then, all of my carry guns have been semi auto with some type of manual safety.
    I know that many, many thousands of people have safely carried guns like the Glock, and others, for decades, with no problem. For me, having grown up around guns my entire life, hunting and such, I have always carried one in the chamber with the safety on, and always followed safe practices.
    I see the modern practice of carrying AIWB, and I get the willies, pun intended, since it seems to break several of the 4 rules of safe gun handling. However, don't ever voice those questions, to seemingly kind and decent gun authorities, because you run the risk of being called everything other than a Christian. It seems that passions run quite high about this topic. One would think that I broached the subject of pre rapture or post rapture resurrection.
    Yes, I am a Christian who attended Bible College in the early 80's, and have seen how Christians are the only group around who shoot their wounded. Seriously though, I know it is just my preference about the manual safety, and it is not a deal breaker for thousands of people, who train without it, and are just as safe and I am. I just grew up using it as my one last layer of anti stupid tax, and while it is not a crutch that I lean on, it is, at the same time, a check on myself, to ensure that I am following my own sense of propriety if and when the need to draw my firearm and shoot in defense of self or others is called upon. Pray to God that it never happens.
    I had actually forgotten about your blog, and how much I learned from it. I am glad that I stumbled onto it again, and will book mark it, and will be checking into it daily. My prayers are going out for you on this Lord's day, and every day after. Be well, and may God be blessed in your lives.

    ReplyDelete