Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Protection in Church

Can you carry in Church? Well, that depends on where you live. Every state is different. It appears that by law and by counsel, you can not carry at LDS meetings or activities in Utah. I know that is different in Arizona, Texas, and Florida. By counsel, it is “inappropriate” to carry within the walls of a Church building. I’ve known early morning seminary teachers who have carried, I’ve known Bishops and Bishopric members who have carried, and even a Relief Society president who carries. All of them carry everywhere, always. Now, I do not write this article to start a debate or controversy. I merely want to know what you do and how. I do not need to know the why.

As for the “why”, I will only say this. We all have agency and we must decide what we will do. I will only say that I understand both ways of thinking. How would I feel if I needed my weapon and did not have it? But, following counsel is right and has never steered me wrong. (No, I don’t want to hear your stories of following counsel and how disaster ensued, please!) I also am a firm believer in personal revelation and following what the Lord would have you do. I have learned to determine the difference between my own will and the influence of the Spirit in my own life. If you are unsure of this, be very careful that your will is not being used in lieu of the Spirit and personal revelation. Also, if it is illegal to carry in Church where you are, know that you risk legal problems including arrest, and suspension of your concealed carry permit. That is all I will say on the “why”. I know you are tempted to comment on your own personal “why”, but please hold that for the “why” post that will come.

I am blessed to live in a state and town where the Church must post a sign which they do not do. So legal-wise I am good. I was asked by one of our Stake Presidency, who is a gun collector, if I was armed before a High council meeting one time. We were the only two in the room at the time, but my answer was and will always be, “If I was, you wouldn’t know it.” That's the way I want to keep it under any condition.


This is the Church's policy from Handbook 2.
21.2.4
Firearms
Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.



Here is the text of the 2004 letter the church sent out to its leadership:



To: Area Presidencies, Area Authority Seventies, Temple Presidents, Stake Presidents, Bishops, and Branch Presidents in Utah

Dear Brethren:

Firearms in Houses of Worship

Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.

Utah law permits churches or other organizations operating houses of worship to prohibit firearms. Any person, including a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm, who knowingly and intentionally transports a firearm into a house of worship or who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains in a house of worship where firearms have been prohibited, is guilty of a crime. An exception will be provided for law enforcement personnel, as contemplated by law.

The church plans to invoke the Utah law and give public notice that firearms are prohibited in the church's houses of worship, including temples, meetinghouses, the Assembly Hall, the Salt Lake Tabernacle, and the Conference Center.
Scouting merit badge and other activities where firearms are legitimately involved should be held in facilities other than houses of worship.

Once such public notice is given, persons who bring firearms into a church house of worship should be informed of the church's position and politely asked to take their firearms to another safe location. Persons who refuse to take their firearms from the house of worship or repeatedly ignore the church's prohibition should be referred to local law enforcement officers for possible criminal prosecution. However, every reasonable effort should be made to avoid confrontation and to defuse emotional situations so as to prevent violence and misunderstanding. Questions regarding particular situations may be referred to the Church Security Department and the Church's Office of General Counsel at church headquarters.

Sincerely your brethren,

(signed)

Gordon B. Hinckley

Thomas S. Monson

James E. Faust


Like I said, I don't want to comment or debate on the Church's policy in this article. I have my own opinions and I'm sure all of you have yours too.
What I want to ask of you is what you use in the way of gear, holsters, or clothing if you carry at church. I have other items in my every-day-carry (EDC) including a knife, flashlight, and multi-tool.

I would use a belly band or clothing with a holster sewn into it. After I turned 40 my mid section grew more than I would like and it's been a battle trying to keep it where I'd like it. If I could use a in the waistband holster, I would use that too.
Of course, concealed carry, means concealed. Being aware of how your weapon is retained, if it prints with certain movement, or at what point or angle it would no longer be concealed, is something you need to be aware of. Maybe a pocket holster might be what will work for you. Please share with us your experience or ideas with carrying at Church.
Most belly bands do not usually have a retention strap but it can be added. Under Tech makes an undergarment that looks pretty good. I've never used one and they seem pricey but it's not really any more expensive than many holsters. I've used pocket holsters many times but I've never been the most comfortable with them.

I wait for your comments!

Semper Paratus

Burn




No comments:

Post a Comment