Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ruger Mark 2 Review (kind of...)

I’m sure it seems strange to review a gun that has been around since 1949. But I can’t say enough about this pistol
I own Rugers. I really do love the gun maker. As far as .22 pistols go, the Mark 1, 2, and 3 .22/45, are second to none.
One of the first pistols I owned was a Mark II . I have taught my whole family, including my wife, how to shoot with this pistol. When I want to go through a bunch of ammo, I reach for my Mark II and my 10-22 rifle. Between these two, I can have hours of fun.
The first Ruger .22 was called the Standard Model. This pistol was sold in 1949 through the NRA’s magazine American Rifleman costing $37.50. This was the beginning of the biggest selling semi-auto .22 in gun history. More than 2,000,000 have been sold. It featured a 9 shot magazine and a cylinder bolt in the tube frame rather than the conventional slide of most auto-loaders. The sights were fixed on the frame and barrel, which was different for the time.
After 33 years the basic design of the Standard and Mark I remained the same. After 22 years, in 1971, the original dies for forming the two halves of the frame wore out. The new dies made it so that the cut at the bottom of the grip frame where the magazine follower button fits was on the left side, which was the opposite side as before. The difference is, the newer magazines will fit the Mark I by just switching the follower button to the right side of the mag.
Over the years the gun has come in a variety of barrel lengths most common is the 6 inch barrel. The Mark III 22/45 was built for the government and had a grip reminiscent of the governments Colt 45 1911. Other features are similar to a Colt 45 so the government could train with it. The polymer framed Ruger 22/45 Mark III series has become an integral part of the Ruger .22 success story.
I have never shot the Mark II other than to play with it. I absolutely love it. Always have. The only thing I do not like is the magazine release. It is clumsy and difficult to change quickly. I picked up a Mark I for next to nothing and it shoots the same. Like I said, I’ve taught many children and adults how to shoot with this gun. My son has such a fondness for the Mark II that he found one and snatched it up. My Father-in-law has one. They are all over the Burningbush family. If I could find enough, I’d give each of my kids one. In preparing this article I talked with a friend of mine who has competed with his Mark II Target for several years. He says he hasn’t found a more accurate .22. Ruger
Ruger stopped making the Mark II in 2005. Probably no .22 autoloading pistol in history has combined such high degree of longevity, popularity, reliability versatility, and accuracy as the Ruger .22.
I know this is not much of a review. I guess I feel like I just want to sing this gun’s praises.
Semper Paratus
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment