Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Concealed Carry: Carrying In The Winter Cold

I am from the South. I grew up in the Southwest and still live in the Southwest. Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas… these are the climates I love. I love Southern Utah for the same reasons. I thrive in the “desert”.
I served my mission in Eastern Canada. That was the coldest I have ever been in. I don’t know how you people in the North do it, but I’m glad I don’t have to.
I spent some of this Winter in a cold Northern climate. I carried a weapon the whole time I was up there but had to reevaluate the way I carried. For instance, if you carry inside the waistband then you might want a T shirt to keep the gun away from your skin. Even bundled up that gun against your skin will be cold. With a T shirt it will put a barrier between you and your gun.
Cold weather means dressing in layers. This can be a real problem if you carry inside the waistband. You can keep everything open, but then that would freeze me. I would opt for a different mode of carrying. A pocket pistol might be in order. When carry all the time. You have to be versatile in your carry mode. Don’t restrict yourself by being “married” to a mode of carry. Whatever you decide, practice your draw stroke with that mode.
Gloves are another consideration. If it’s cold enough you will need some sort of glove. Thick gloves make it impossible to draw the gun, leave alone actually shooting it. I would wear some tactical gloves (which I train in) and a thicker mitten over the tac gloves. It took some getting used to, but practice pulling off the big glove to draw and shoot. You can opt for no gloves, but depending on the temperature, you won’t feel your hands to draw and shoot. Gloves take some getting used to, so let yourself get used to them and pulling the thicker ones off.
Make sure your head gear won’t impede your shooting. You may need to practice a little with that too. If you are going into a place where you think you’ll need your weapon, prepare ahead by removing gloves, hoods, or hats if needed.
Cold weather has many challenges, especially for a Southern boy like me. Plan a little and you won’t have a problem. But it takes preparation and forethought. It may take a little practice too. Stay warm my friends!
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn



No comments:

Post a Comment