Friday, January 16, 2015

Concealed Carry: Reasons To Carry


About predicting the future. These quotes epitomize why we should not try and guess the future.
“It is impossible for men in the future to fly like birds. Flying is reserved for the angels.” —Milton Wright, Bishop , 1870, father of Orville and Wilbur Wright
“This ‘telephone’ has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.” — Western Union internal memo 1876
“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” — Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM 1943
No one can tell you what will or will not happen in the future. We can, however, do our best to prepare for what we think will happen.
Here are some facts.
Carrying a concealed handgun in public is permitted in all 50 states as of 2013, when Illinois became the last state to enact concealed carry legislation.
42 states have "shall-issue" laws where police do not have discretion in issuing concealed weapon permits as long as individuals meet minimum requirements, such as a minimum age, no prior felony conviction, and no recent commitments to a mental institution (as of Mar. 14, 2014). Eight states have "may issue" laws where concealed weapon permits are approved based on the discretion of local police departments or governments.
The National Rifle Association (NRA) gave presidential candidate Barack Obama an "F" rating based on his voting record on guns. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence also gave President Obama an "F," in part because he signed the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009 which included an amendment to allow the carrying of firearms in national parks.
Between May 2007 and Mar. 11, 2014, at least 14 law enforcement officers and 622 other people were killed nationally by private individuals legally allowed to carry concealed handguns.
Seven states allow carrying a concealed weapon on public college or university campuses, 21 states ban concealed weapons on campus, and 22 leave the decision up to the individual college or university.
Carrying a gun is not being pessimistic. On the contrary, I think it is being positive. Being positive that you are prepared for anything. You’re not betting the worst will happen, but you’re prepared if it does.
The following reason to carry comes from a woman’s concealed carry site called “The Cornered Cat” corneredcat.com
“Although the stereotype is that gun owners are after some sort of a “power rush,” I never have felt super-powerful or invincible when carrying a gun, nor anything remotely like that. Instead, in a low-key sort of way, I simply feel confident that I am equipped to handle an unpleasant or even deadly situation if I really need to do so. Because I know I could cope with the worst that could happen, I am free to go about my regular business without a lot of that low-level, back-of-the-mind feeling of vulnerability that most women experience on some level in their daily lives (especially when traveling though big cities, or in deserted areas after dark). When I first began carrying, I really liked having that feeling of calm confidence which came from being prepared to cope with the worst life could possibly throw at me, and I wanted to keep feeling it.
And that is why I carry a gun all the time.”
Rachel Chumita
http://www.corneredcat.com/article/why-a-gun/why-i-carry-a-gun/
Here’s some truth about gun owners and gun toters.
We Just Want to be Safe
That’s all it is, really… we want to remain secure against those who may seek to do us harm, and a convenient gun is a great tool to help achieve that. And get this: those who carry guns help to protect those who do not carry guns, even when gun-toters are not around, because criminals don’t know who’s armed and who isn’t, which makes them a lot more hesitant to victimize people. Think about it: if everyone were armed, many types of crime would almost cease to exist, because an armed citizen is not a victim.
Vigilance, not Paranoia
People who choose to carry guns do so not because they live in fear, but because they want to take responsibility for their own safety and that of other innocents. History has shown that nothing short of enduring vigilance can keep us safe in an unsafe world. After all, many notorious mass murders have been committed in “safe” places such as restaurants, movie theaters, schools, etc. Keeping such places free of lawful guns is an open invitation to criminals, but the presence of responsible, law-abiding citizens with guns offers a feasible deterrent to mass murder.
We Don’t Want to Shoot Anyone
It’s true; we do not want to have to drop the hammer on anyone. I can’t think of a much more traumatic experience than having to take a life, unless it’s suffering as a helpless victim under the cruel attentions of a criminal such as a rapist or murderer. No, I don’t ever want to pull a trigger in anger, but if it comes down to a choice between me and a bad guy, I’ll do everything I can to ensure that the bad guy loses.
It’s a Dangerous World
If this world wasn’t dangerous, we wouldn’t have any debate about guns. But it most certainly is, and one must choose whether to live in denial that anything bad can happen, or accept reality and prepare oneself as best you can to protect yourself and your loved ones from whatever threat may arise.
Armed Citizens Make Unarmed People Safer
Any portion of armed, non-criminal citizenry creates a measure of security for everyone else. When the bad guys have to guess at who does or doesn’t have a gun, it makes crime a less attractive career choice. On the other hand, in areas where the law-abiding can’t arm themselves (such as in schools or big cities with strict anti-gun laws), criminals can and do operate boldly.
Use Your Rights – or Lose Them
Like many, I believe it’s wrong to have to beg permission, submit to scrutiny, and/or bribe the government in order to exercise a right that is not granted by government. That said, I have done so, and I hope that every able-bodied adult will do the same. Because the more of us there are who exercise these civil rights, the harder it will be for the government to steal these and other rights in the future.
Carrying a Gun is Inconvenient and Uncomfortable
It’s true – toting a gun is a pain. A gun can poke, dig, gouge, protrude, aggravate, and otherwise just be a hassle to keep on your person – especially when you are legally obligated to keep it hidden at all times. But that’s something I’m willing to put up with, just in case someone ever points a gun at me and my family again. Yes, I did say, “again.” It happens, on public streets in broad daylight. One must choose whether to be prepared to resist, or to submit as a lamb to the slaughter.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million peaceful citizens who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 innocents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED! Now, because the U.S. government and DHS are so fearful
of 90-million, well-armed, law-abiding American citizens, they haven't declared martial law.

Switzerland issues a gun to every household and provides training. They are neutral and have no standing Army. Their citizens are all they have. Switzerland has the lowest gun-related crime rate of any civilized country in the world.

I did not mean for this to be a political article. But when you talk about gun rights, concealed carry rights, and the reasons behind them, you will end up with something opinionated and potentially political.
I carry because I agree with the reasons given here. I also like the idea of being self-sufficient in all things.
It’s interesting to me that people who have no problems with having life, car, and home owners insurance give up their safety and security to the chance of crime not happening to them and theirs. They rely on “rule of law” to keep them safe. The fact that laws against violence, robbery, and murder are enough to keep us safe is so very foolish. I love rule of law. Most of the time it protects me to a certain degree. But if I rely on the law or the police I’m taking a chance. Like going without insurance. I don’t know why a regular person can’t see that.
My reasons to carry don’t stop there. I took an oath having to do with this country to “protect against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” I take that oath seriously. I know some people feel I’ve done my duty and am no longer required to keep that oath. Well even the Lamanites knew the importance of keeping an oath. At one time they were blood thirsty but would not take an oath they knew they would break. It didn’t matter that they were probably not quite “law abiding”. Their oath, their word, was everything to them and to the righteous Nephites.
The last reason is not really a reason. More of a perk. I’m a gun guy. I’ve shot, collected, hunted with, competed with, instructed about, fought with, and admired guns since I was 8 years old. Without blurting out my age, it’s been some time since I was 38. So I have been around them for a while. I get great pleasure from them. I love to shoot but I even enjoy going to the range and smelling the gun powder and recognizing the different sounds of the different calibers and actions (they all have a different sound you know…) of various guns. Some people recognize bird chirps of different species. I enjoy recognizing the difference between a striker fired weapon from a hammer fired one. I love the report of a Kalashnikov AK as opposed to a DPMS AR report. It just makes me smile. Anyway, I digress. What would make most people’s eyes glaze over (ballistics reports) I pore through with enthusiasm. I am not an expert, I just love it. So carrying my friend that will also protect myself and others, is a natural thing for me.
These are some of my reasons to carry. I hope you will find your own reasons. Don’t just buy a gun and start carrying. Get trained. Find the gun and holster that is right for you. Consider the legal, emotional, and moral ramifications of carrying a lethal means of self-defense. Then practice so you won’t be a menace out there. After you have gone through this expensive, sometimes difficult and trying process, carry legally every day, everywhere. You, and I, will be glad you did.
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment