Friday, May 3, 2019

Backfires, Fireworks, and Gunshots

I live in the country. I hear gunshots all the time. There are hunters, and then there are those target practicing. Every time I hear it, I note the direction and the time. If I am ever questioned I want some better information than it went bang. But I’ve also been around shooting. A lot. It never fails that as soon as I remove hearing protection, someone shoots. I also have been working on active flight lines for many years so I understand the importance of hearing protection. But learning the difference between other sounds (fireworks, backfiring vehicle) and gun shots is something that can be practiced. I would take my children to the shooting range several times a year. I would make it fun for them or they would get sick of it. We played marksmanship “games” ensuring that we were safe at all times. But because of this, they are better at identifying gunshots than the average person. In most cases it’s a little difficult.
Several witnesses have described that they heard what they thought was fireworks, before they realized that it was actually gunshots. Country singer Jason Aldeen, who was performing at the time of the Las Vegas shooting, didn’t get off the stage until well after the first round of gunshots. Witness videos show people standing around through several rounds of shooting unaware that what they're hearing was actually gunshots.
I’m not sure but I think I’d have found some cover or at least concealment. I’ve been shot at with AK’s and AR’s and I think I know those sounds pretty good. But I can always be fooled.
In 2016 MSNBC anchor Nicolle Wallace had a curious moment on set when she confused the sound of an opening soda can with live gunfire.
“I think we just heard some gunshots. Should we listen to that for a second, control room?” asked Wallace with her customary monotone.
In her defense there had been many shooting incidents at the time. But the fact that she didn’t really know the difference is what is telling. It’s better to be cautious rather than ventilated!
Often in the face of a shooting event many people don’t react properly. They don’t duck, run, or find cover. This is because of something called the Normalcy bias. This is a survival mechanism our brains are equipped with that can place us in grave danger when we’re faced with something traumatic. Simply put, it causes our brains to insist that everything is OK. This doesn’t happen in this small town, or this neighborhood, or at this event. Our mind lies to us in an effort to survive emotionally and mentally.
I was in a combat situation where one of the guys supposed to be fighting beside me was in shock. He could not engage the enemy because this wasn’t anything like training. He had to overcome his own normalcy bias before he could be an effective fighter.
I’ve told a story about coming on to a fairly bad car roll-over and people could not get past their normalcy bias to actually be of help to the victims.
This is a good reason to learn what gunfire sounds like. If you’ve been to the range that is not always enough. I’m not advocating damaging your hearing but criminals and terrorists don’t hand out ear plugs before they shoot. You need to know what real, un-muffled, gun fire sounds like. Now this does not mean using no hearing protection at an indoor range while someone is shooting a .357! But you do need to hear real shots from a distance. More than likely you won’t be right next to a shooter when he decides to attack.
My description is only my own opinion. But I feel I can tell the difference between calibers when I hear them. I also think fireworks have a differing sound from each other. They are not so uniform like gun shots. It does take a little practice (experience). Usually fireworks are almost on top of each other going off. Gunshots are more methodic, even automatic fire. There may be gaps, but it’s only one shot at a time. Sometimes you can be fooled, but I’d rather error on the side of caution.
Give yourself some training and go to the range. Even if you don’t shoot, get more familiar with gun shots!

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment