Friday, May 24, 2019

Love/Hate Relationship With Memorial Day

Memorial Day. Originally Decoration Day where they would decorate the grave sites of those that were lost in the Civil War.
It is unclear where exactly this tradition originated; numerous different communities may have independently initiated the memorial gatherings. Nevertheless, in 1966 the federal government declared Waterloo, New York, the official birthplace of Memorial Day.
Waterloo, which first celebrated the day on May 5, 1866, was chosen because it hosted an annual, community-wide event, during which businesses closed and residents decorated the graves of soldiers with flowers and flags.
Memorial Day, as Decoration Day gradually came to be known, originally honored only those lost while fighting in the Civil War. But during World War I the United States found itself embroiled in another major conflict, and the holiday evolved to commemorate American military personnel who died in all wars.

I both love and hate this day. I love the thought of remembering those who were lost in war and combat, lest we forget. We should never forget what they gave for each of us. But being in a place where I lost brothers makes me wonder why the heck would I want to remember something I’ve tried to forget but can’t? It’s a double edged sword for some. Remember that when you are going to parades, cemeteries, barbequing, or just at home with your family. Some prefer to spend this day in sad remembrance or quiet reflection. Others don’t give a lot of thought to why we have this day and I can understand this too. Not everyone is touched by the travesty of war. And that’s what we have fought for and continue to fight for. So others won’t have anything but good memories of growing up in the United States.

Another point I’d like to mention is the way we treat our flag. I fought so others could have their first amendment rights of expression. I understand that burning our flag and doing other things to it are symbols of someone’s protest. You can do this, but should you? To others that flag means much more and to even others it represents what many have fought and died under. I’m sure protesters of every kind are out there. Some may not care of the great offense it brings to those who fought for freedoms desecrating our flag brings. That is their right too. But don’t get too upset if we as freedom fighters (your freedom too) don’t react well to your protests. If I call those who desecrate Old Glory “commie cowards with the intellect of a small rodent” don’t be offended at my free speech. Burn your own flags if you wish, but live with consequences if you try to burn mine! We have diverse opinions in this country. We should work at mutual respect.

Come this September it will have been 18 years since we were brutally attacked on American soil. I hope that we can remember, as well as this Memorial Day, those who have left a legacy of the ultimate sacrifice. President Lincoln said it best when he described it as the “last full measure of devotion.”

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

PS

I want to share with you video that I really appreciate.
It is from Thunder Ranch, and Clint and Heidi Smith

https://youtu.be/frt8xTwxAzk

Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment