Thursday, September 5, 2019

The Church's New Firearms Policy and Me

(My wife didn’t want me to write this article. She thought I would go off my PTSD rocker and say some things that would land me in my Stake Presidents office with him asking me to take down my post or be banished to the land of Sam Young and Kate Kelly over something as trivial as a cause. No hunger strike for me (although I could lose a few pounds). I assured her, that before I’d even get a good talking to by my priesthood leaders I’d pull down this post, my Blog, my Facebook page, my Instagram account, my You Tube account, my comments on every gun forum and blog I’ve ever looked at, and cancel my library card! It’s not that I’m a wimp and am afraid that my membership is in jeopardy every time I even look at buying Pepsi, because I know my leaders are reasonable and measured men and inspired. What I mean is, not very much is worth my membership in Christ’s Church. So, here is my “scalding” post.)

Well they’ve done it. The Church that I love and have been a very active member of my entire life has backed me into a corner. Break policy or follow policy? Break policy or follow policy? Break policy or follow policy? That is my dilemma. I want to be obedient. I’ve been taught the importance of obedience all my life. So, not only has the policy on firearms changed, but the change has been made so public that all the crazies know! And I’m not just referring to mainstream media.
I first shot a gun when I was 8 years old. It was a .22 caliber, lever action Savage on my Uncle’s farm. We shot cans off a fence just like in the movies. I thought I was pretty good! I shot my first buck in Arizona with my Uncle’s 30-06 at age 12. It was a clean shot that dropped the deer where it stood. I stopped hunting when I got back from my mission. I don’t mind the hunt, it’s the field dressing and processing I don’t like. A few years ago a friend of mine gave me a deer. The head was already gone, it was gutted, and skinned. I had it sitting on the kitchen table (on plastic man, I’m married!) fully intending to quarter it, and wrap the meat for freezing. I looked at it and took it to a butcher who processes deer. That’s how much I dislike taking care of an animal. It was almost done and I still didn’t want to do it! Anyway, I digress. When I was in the military I was a small arms instructor and NRA instructor. I also had the “opportunity” to use a gun against shots fired at me in anger. I had the opportunity to train military, local, state, and federal law enforcement, and civilians how to shoot safely, and accurately. I have carried a concealed weapon for more than 25 years. I do not share this in a vain attempt to toot my own horn, but to explain my experience with guns. And now my Church says I’m not qualified or authorized to carry a weapon on their property. That makes me quite sad. The policy says this:
21.2.4
Firearms
Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. With the exception of current law enforcement officers, the carrying of lethal weapons on Church property, concealed or otherwise, is prohibited.
So not only can I not carry a gun, but even a knife would be prohibited. Even though there are several in every LDS chapel’s kitchen drawers.
I am stunned by this policy. I will not voice here what I think of this policy except that I fear I will break it repeatedly. In fact, I just broke it last Sunday. As you can see, I am struggling with this obedience. I’m not really sure what to do. I want to comply but also want to defend my family. I’m not sure who my church thinks is going to defend me and my family, and anyone else for that matter, should evil walk through their doors. It has happened and I predict, will happen again. So I say, “Do you expect the police to protect me?” I’m not sure how they can do that, even though I’d love them to! I don’t really want to shoot at another human being again. It was not very fun the first time!

The Family Proclamation to the World says:
“By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families.”
Apparently that does not apply to me anymore.
I’m not sure what the brethren mean by “protection” but the Saints in Venezuela and other countries may have a different definition of the word from South Jordan, Utah is all I’m saying.
The prophet Moroni in Alma 46:12 wrote this as the title of liberty:
12 And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it- In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children- and he fastened it upon the end of a pole.

I wonder how the police where I live can enforce this title if a nut case walks into my Sacrament meeting with an AK? Because my wife and my children may just be a memory if there is no one there to defend them. Maybe the crazed gunman will follow the policy… criminals and terrorists being such law-abiding citizens. I apologize for the sarcasm.
I do not understand the logic of this policy change. It is similar to gun control protecting me. How can any law protect anyone against those who break laws!? I guess it will stop law abiding people from bringing a gun into a church building and having a negligent discharge like what happened in Provo the beginning of this year. Oh wait, the church already had a policy of no guns in Utah chapels. I’d like to ask the Church how that worked out for them? I guess they could prosecute the 70 something year old man for breaking policy and Utah law.

Please don’t misunderstand. I love the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I believe it to be the Lord’s church here upon the earth. I sustain and support our leadership from the prophet and apostles down to my Bishop. I’m his counselor, I love and sustain this man. This is why I’m in such a quandary about this policy. By the way, I can disagree with policy and still agree with doctrine. But I must tread lightly because it’s a slippery slope. I can give up my opinion for my membership if need be. I’m not trying to fight this policy but understand it. Do we really want a “Gun-free” zone on Church property? Is that not an invitation to every mentally ill or disillusioned ex-member to come and get us? If you Google LDS firearms policy you’ll see many articles from August of this year from CNN to the Washington Post. The cat is waaay out of the bag. Some headlines even say the church has made their “parishiners” sitting ducks and “Mormon Leaders ban guns at church”! I have been concerned about security in an LDS Church before, now I’m alarmed! This is my solution. Maybe a lame solution, but one all the same.
If the Church is reluctant to put together some type of security team or security duty and train them a little, at least give some mandatory security training. We‘re asked to take a youth/child protection training why not some security training? My vision for this would be starting with leadership. We are a church of inclusion and missionary service. We have a sign on our chapels that says “Visitors Welcome” and we mean it! But with that comes a responsibility to keep everyone safe. I would start with situational awareness training. Then I would give key people (ushers, leaders) some threat assessment and threat demeanor or expression identification training. What does a criminal look like when contemplating violent intent? Maybe some body language. I took a course from the State department in the 80’s that covered this. Get a more basic curriculum and “civilian” it down to understandable things to look for. This, to me, would be the least the Church could do. This training can be made to be international. Maybe localize it to countries that have specific problems. Make some videos for us to watch and repeat it annually. If we can’t have armed guards and can’t arm ourselves, at least give us something other than calling 9-1-1 and waiting 5 to 15 minutes until after the event is over to get help. I know this does not seem like a very faithful attitude. I do have faith but I also believe in preparation. I’m afraid the Church is too worried about how the general membership would react to the possibility of a threat. But I also know that Church Security knows exactly what the threat is. To be honest, knowing we have a security department tells you that there is some kind of threat out there! I plead with that department, “If I can’t have a gun in church, how can I protect my family? Please give us some training!”
And so goes my plight. Do I ignore this policy and rationalize its existence to the Church being a world organization? Or should I comply and learn how to get off the stand under fire?
I can tell you right now that my family will get this training. They have already been subject to me teaching them how to shoot, have situational awareness, and use pepper spray. We’ve even taken some hand-to-hand combat training together. I will find the proper videos and materials and train them myself. I just wish the Church would do something other than tell me “It will never happen here!” I have tracked shootings on Church property for some time. I’m here to tell you that it has happened multiple times. It averages once or twice a year. Some have been suicide but only a few. So I know that it happens.
At the risk of a rant, I want to re-cap. I’m having problems with being told I can’t carry a gun in church but the people I train can. And if I can’t carry what is the alternative? And if kids get trained for active shooters in school, and their parents get it at work, where does that leave the Church? I know that the Lord can step in and save us all. But He helps those who help themselves! Maybe President Nelson knows something I don’t. Actually, I know he knows LOTS more than I do. I hope the guys that advise him know a little about security and defense.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn


2 comments:

  1. Yeh, I have some thoughts:

    - The Restored Gospel has no doctrine of infallibility.  The closest we have is "..will not be allowed to lead the Church astray."

    - Hbk 2, 21.2.4 ".. the carrying of lethal weapons on Church property, concealed or otherwise, is prohibited." only applies if an Apostle is not present.  If an Apostle is present he brings armed Church Security with him, and local members are recruited to carry concealed throughout the building while he's there.

    - When I face my Lord He'll ask me, not Pres Nelson, how I carried out my revealed responsibilities to protect my family.  How is Sis Nelson's life more worth protecting by violation of clear and printed Church policy than _my_ wife's?

    So, until Church authorities canonize 2.21.2.4 and/or make it part of the Temple recommend questions I'll ignore it.  I won't, as I've been accused, "pretend it doesn't exist."  I am/have been an engineer, physical scientist, Combat Medic, and military officer.  I am addicted to reality.  I pretend nothing I can avoid.  I know I'm standing in violation of a clearly stated printed Church policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sir, I am very grateful that you have made this website!It's good to see a place where members can come together on this issue. I personally wrote a letter to the church's "global security center" stating facts about past violence in churches and questions regarding whether compliance would affect a person to be temple worthy. I encourage everyone to do the same at gsoc@churchofjesuschrist.org, another great place to further the conversation is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyY4pcebjo

    ReplyDelete