Thursday, March 5, 2020

You CAN Handle The Truth!

You can’t handle the truth! This is a quote that is often used in humor throughout our everyday lives. But you know, it’s not far from the truth.
I was confronted by a left leaning friend who is completely paranoid about guns. I’ve offered to take them out and train them to alleviate their fears, but they say they are too afraid. It’s sad to see fear rules someone’s life but there it is. They told me how offensive I am because I encourage self-defense. I explained that it’s important that those who want to defend themselves should learn. He informed me that I was “encouraging violence”. I said “Yes, I am!” This disgusted my friend. I asked if my friend had ever feared for their life. He said no he hadn’t. I said that many people don’t see the need for self-defense until after they have experienced violence. This made me think of Colonel Jessup, the character in the movie “A Few Good Men” from 1992.
“The fact that this speech was delivered by a fictional character doesn’t diminish its effectiveness or its power. The entire exchange, involving Tom Cruise as Lieutenant Kaffee and the incomparable Jack Nicholson as Colonel Jessup is worth quoting in full:
Col. Jessup: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I’m entitled to.
Col. Jessup: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Col. Jessup: You can’t handle the truth!
[pause]
Col. Jessup: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know; that Santiago’s death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said “thank you” and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
The crowning achievement in this exchange is captured by Colonel Jessup’s unanswerable proclamation: “You can’t handle the truth!” He is absolutely right, regardless of the wrong decision he made in the case of Private Santiago in this fictional representation of a tragic incident in the Marine Corps. There’s no question that Colonel Jessup is rude, crude, arrogant, and profane, that he was responsible for Santiago’s death, and that he tried to cover it up. Unfortunately, such behavior does not make him unique in military history. Actions that are tolerated or overlooked during wartime are unconscionable during times of peace. It’s also true that he devoted his life to a righteous cause, which invariably entailed making life or death decisions under conditions of extraordinary stress.
That’s what commanders do. Indeed, anyone familiar with military history understands how many lives have been lost—sometimes numbering in the hundreds of thousands—from tragically mistaken command decisions. The role of the Colonel Jessups in our history, as this scene reminds us, is to keep such decisions to a minimum; in short, in spite of everything, to save as many lives as possible. That is the truth that snowflakes can’t handle.
The movie comes to a close with Lieutenant Kaffee calling Colonel Jessup a son-of-a-[expletive], to his face. Probably he is right. Still, who would you want to defend our country, the Lieutenant Kaffees or the Colonel Jessups? Or, worst of all, our incredibly sensitive snowflakes? My vote goes for Colonel Jessup, every time.”
The above was a quote from Ricochet.com
“Colonel Jessup Was right”
By Marvin Folkertsma August 30, 2017
https://ricochet.com/452339/archives/colonel-jessup-right/
I could not have said it better myself…
My experience in the military making small, personal decisions that saved my own life, and perhaps the lives of those around me, has brought me to a place of wanting to defend myself and my family. Many civilians “Can’t handle the truth!” The truth is there are bad, violent people in this world. We need to defend ourselves. But I must admit, The United States is the safest country in the world. But terrorists and criminals constantly test that fact. To say that it won’t happen to you is to hide your head in the sand. You may go through your life without experiencing violence, but you’re taking an awful chance if you do nothing to change those odds and mitigate the violence. Talk to someone who has experienced violence. Ask what they would have done differently.
I recognize those military members, police officers, firefighters, EMT’s and other first responders that do their job so well and keep us safe. They are amazing. But unless you have one with you always, there is little they can do to keep you safe short of just existing. Your security is your responsibility. And to those who think it is someone else’s responsibility to defend you, you are partly right. But those who defend this country are often looked upon as bottom feeders and the bottom of the barrel. There are things involved by the name of honor and sacrifice. It takes a certain type of person to do this and we wish you’d just say “thank you” and went on your way. Trying to judge why someone feels strongly about defending themselves or others is a mistake. “Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post.” It takes a lot out of your life training and keeping watch. And then when called upon to give your life, or offer your life in defense, that also takes a special person. I don’t expect everyone to be that type of person. But “I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!” You don’t have to understand or agree. But understand and show a little respect.
That’s how you handle the truth!
Semper Parates
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment