Wednesday, June 3, 2020

My Advice To My Kids: Riot Prep

This may be my PTSD hyper-vigilance talking, so take it for what it is. Watching this country fall apart in some places, and watching what those who have sworn to protect us are doing about it has me concerned. I live in the country outside a small town. I’m not really concerned about a riot spilling into the countryside and coming to my door. A lot more would have to happen in this country for me to start worrying about violence in my neighborhood. But some of you live in suburbs and cities a lot bigger than mine. This is what makes me concerned. I want to ensure your safety so I’d like to suggest some things. These are things you can do to keep you and your family’s safe in the event something crazy came to your neighborhood. I have seen politicians, leaders, police officers, police chiefs, and others join the protestors. I’m sure each of you have your opinions about what started this mess. That is not what I want to address here. I feel that the above people’s first priority should be the safety of everyday people and peaceful protestors. Some of them have added fuel to the fire. I don’t want to do the same so I will keep my opinions to myself. You may think this type of violence would never touch your lives but I am here to tell you, the reality is that it could. Most of this violence has been in urban settings but I could see this spilling into a regular neighborhood and criminals pulling people from their homes. That has not really happened but in some places people are pulled from their vehicles.
1. Regardless of the violence, we need to be aware of what’s going on around us. I know I talk about situational awareness a lot but this is where it is very important.
Where is the protest? Is it moving? Has it turned violent? These are questions you should know the answers to. Being aware of what’s going on helps you to make decisions.
2. Have bug out bags (72 hour kits) ready in case you need to evacuate.
3. Have evacuation routes planned. Put together several routes away from your home. In a vehicle and on foot. Take these routes (practice evacuating) to know if there are any problems in the route. You can make this fun for your kids.
4. Have a bug out (evacuation) location. You need a place to go. A friend or relative’s house, the chapel, any place that you all know to go in an emergency. In military terms we call this a rally point.
5. Defense. This is one I talk about a lot. I know each of you has differing views of this and that’s OK. But in certain situations, you cannot depend on someone else (the police) to defend your family. If someone is kicking in your door a 4 minute response time to a 911 call is too late. My justification for defending my family comes from a few places besides the Constitution.
Alma 43:47 “And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed…”
And from “The Family, A Proclamation To The World” it states:
“By Devine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families.”
These are only a few examples of where I take my responsibility to defend my family. I choose to do so with a firearm, you may not make that choice. Whatever choice you make, be sure you are trained and have sufficient practice to defend your family. It is your responsibility my brothers.
You should also include your family in this defense. I don’t expect a 7 year old to be packing heat, but they should know in the right situation, to get behind their parents. Your wives should also know what to do. I think a wife can be taught the same skills as the husband in case he is not there to take care of the family. But that’s just me. At the very least your family should know the difference between cover and concealment. Everyone has heard “Cover me” stated in a movie or TV show. But what does it really mean and is it used correctly in fiction?
Learn defense and how to protect yourself and your family.
6. First Aid. Put together a first aid kit (FAK). Put together several. A small individual one should be in your bug out bag. Every vehicle should have a bigger one. And every home should have one. The gear is important, but skill trumps gear every time.
The reason I say make one is there are not very many store-bought FAK’s that a very realistic. Most have band-aids and aspirin. You need other items. I’ve found that I need blood stoppers. Surgi-pads are good stoppers. You need a lot. I’d carry about 10 in a larger FAK. I also think wound cleaners and sutures would be good. Learn how to use all of these, especially the sutures. Tourniquets are also important. Learn how to use these too. Learn and know the signs of heart attack, stroke, and shock and how to treat them. If you are an EMT you should have a more comprehensive kit. But remember, doctors, nurses, and EMT’s are used to having a support system of communication, an ambulance, or a hospital. You may not have those things. Something for eyewash may be important if tear gas or pepper spray is used and inadvertently hits one of you or you have to travel through the cloud. Masks would be appropriate and would not be unusual in these days of virus.
7. Gas. Keep your vehicle full as much as you can. My truck gets on half and I treat it like it’s empty. Also know that it is real dangerous driving through a crowd of protestors. If they are violent it’s almost impossible. If they are not violent, it can still be unpassable. Avoid driving near or through a riot. Your vehicle will be a target. I would abandon my vehicle and walk before I’d try to drive.

This is a time of civility breakdown. Too many people are intolerant and unaccepting. It is truly the last days. I am concerned that these problems will get worse and more frequent. Being prepared is the best that we can hope for in a turbulent world. Follow your gut (the Spirit) and make quick, good choices. With planning your choices will be easier.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

1 comment:

  1. I am wondering now what your thoughts are about the state of the country now that it's 7 months later, and we are about to enter into a very different future for America???

    ReplyDelete