Friday, March 21, 2014

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it’s off to the range we go…

I have fond memories of going to the range as a kid. The “range” was my Uncle’s ranch. But I remember teaching each of my many kids on particular ranges throughout their lives.
Now I know that just about everyone who goes to the range, goes to a vast variety of “places to shoot”. For many years I shot behind a friend’s property toward a ranch that had a small hill on it. We talked to the rancher and he was good with our plan as long as we didn’t shoot his cattle! Luckily, if there were cattle near the noise would keep them away. That changed because of development in the area where we could no longer safely shoot there. We then sought out a range. We found one that was not too far away and in a gravel pit. This was perfect, safety wise, in every direction. The gun shop that leased the land from the county built a small cement pad and put a roof and a long metal bench to shoot from. That went on for several years but I was never happy with the lack of target stands and the trash and junk that filtered in making the place look like a mess. No money was put into the range and there was no organized shooting club. Finally the county closed down the range and wouldn’t renew the lease. I now shoot at quite a nice range with established shooting lanes. There are also shooting benches and target stands. The range hosts shooting competitions so it’s kept clean and maintained.
I’m sure each of you have similar stories or perhaps you’ve been shooting at the same range for years. Whatever your range situation, each range has its own rules and amenities. You may have to provide your own shooting stands like I did at the first 2 places I shot. I’m thinking about investing the time and money into a shooting range on our property and may have to go back to my own stands again. Here is a site that tells how to make stands out of pvc pipe.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/02/build-a-simple-portable-pvc-target-stand/
There are other ideas and plans but I found this design light and easy to transport. If this is your situation then collecting cardboard will become an obsession.
Also if it’s just a raw range you may consider portable shooting benches or perhaps camp tables and chairs would be what you need.
Beyond range features, there are many things that I consider essential in going to the range.
A good range bag is essential I think. My bag right now is good but too big. I’ve been meaning to downsize because I don’t need many of those things I used to have to bring.
Choose a bag that will fit your situation. There are many on the market. I looked and have owned many of them. I’ve paid $75.00 to $0.25 cents. What I am using now is a traveling duffel bag but It has many of the features of an actual shooting bag. Many such bags have a separate smaller bag inside that you can remove as an ammo bag. There are pockets for handguns and magazines. I confess I have owned those bags with all the bells and whistles and a high price. I’ve “evolved” to a point where I just want a bag of the right size with 2 or 3 outside pockets and a place for a water bottle. I can’t justify a high priced bag when ammunition and other necessary accessories are also rising in cost. I am looking all the time for a better bag but am happy with what I have now, except for its size of course. Look around, you can find a bag that will work for you. At one time I had one of those plastic storage totes with my range bag and many other things in it. Fortunately I’ve downsized over the years.
Contents of that bag are as follows:
1 or 2 rolls of masking tape/duct tape. This for various uses like keeping a target down from the wind. Mostly I use tape to cover holes on the target.
A few tacks and small nails are handy too.
Staple gun with extra staples
Various targets
Binoculars or spotting scope
Small tool kit
Small cleaning kit
Hearing protection (I use ear muffs but have extra pairs and also ear plugs)
Eye protection (I bring extra for anyone who may come with me)
Pad and pen/data book
Small ruler (6 inch plastic)
Surveyors tape (for improvised windsock)
Extra batteries (for timer, sights, camera etc.)
Small digital camera
Ziploc bags for brass if you reload
Hat (I always keep one in my bag in case I’m not wearing one and there is a need)
Small first aid kit (I also have a first aid kit in my vehicle)
Water and water bottle
Toilet paper ( I know this is crazy. My range has a port-a-potty that may, or may not, have TP)
Shot timer
Sharpie
Gloves
Speed loader/magazine loader
Holsters/gun belt
Bi-pod
Bug spray
Sun block
Shooting mat
Optics/glasses cleaner and cloth
Silicone gun cloth
Ammunition
I have a bag I keep inside my range bag for ammo, magazines, loaders etc. That way it’s all kept together and It’s easier to restock
Trigger locks and keys
When it comes to kits (first aid, tool, cleaning) go through each kit and include only what you will need or would be nice. I cleaned out a bag one time and I had been carrying a fairly large bottle of cleaning solvent when I had some in my cleaning kit!
Guns are not on this list, but yes, I bring guns.
I’ve seen other things on other lists but this is what I consider the basics. I’ll be honest, some of these items I do not have in my bag. Every vehicle I have has a pretty good first aid kit, and water. I refill my water bottle every time I go, but if I forget I have water in my vehicle.
Also, if I competed I would probably vary the items in my bag. I like things as simple as possible. I use an acronym when teaching backpacking or building a bug out bag. SWaB. This stands for size, weight, and bulk. Keep it all down to a minimum. I mean for me I walk from my vehicle to the shooting bench which is only about 20 feet. But, with ammo and guns, it is still too heavy. My problem is I feel I need to constantly train with my carry gun and with my home defense gun. But when I see those other guns in there I just want to shoot them all! I should probably limit what I bring to about 3 weapons.
Going to the range is the highlight of my week. I love it and probably spend too much time there. But I do love my family and I should spend time with them. That’s why I love to take them to the range as much as possible. That way I have all the things I love together!
A range bag is also a personal thing. Look over my list and other lists and come up with your own. Clean out your bag and re-evaluate your needs occasionally. With a well stocked bag you will have years of safe, enjoyable, and productive shooting.
Who knew an article on a shooting bag could bring back such wonderful, fond memories!
Make your own memories. Happy shooting!

Semper Paratus
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment