Saturday, March 8, 2014

Yellow to Orange

I know that hindsight is 20/20. I thought a lot about what I would have done in that movie theater in Aurora, Colorado. Would I have been able to do anything? Would I have been armed? Would I have been in a position to exit the theater quickly with my loved ones? If I was armed, would I have been able to see through what they call “combat fog” and taken out the jerk? I wonder about my attitude toward situational awareness and if I include places, until now, I may have considered safe. The truth is, there are few safe places anymore. Please remember that. I don’t think we should go through life paranoid, but Condition Yellow should be the least. Going from Yellow to Orange to Red is sometimes very fast. It would be much easier to go to Orange or Red if we are actually in Yellow! I am very saddened from this tragedy in Colorado. It just seals into my mind the need for situational awareness. For me, the places I am in White are probably at home and at church. I need to be in Yellow and to stay there. I’m not sure we have the luxury to be complacent.
In the Book of Mormon there was a time when things were really bad. In Alma 57:9 it says:

9 And it came to pass that we did camp round about the city for many nights; but we did sleep upon our swords, and keep guards, that the Lamanites could not come upon us by night and slay us, which they attempted many times; but as many times as they attempted this their blood was spilt.
President Benson said that the Book of Mormon paralleled our day. It has almost come to where we “sleep upon our swords” today, just to be safe.

Remember the Color Conditions:
Condition White
You feel secure, whether or not you are actually safe.
Awareness is switched off.
You are unaware of your environment, its inhabitants, and their rituals of attack.
All attackers look for victims in this state.
Condition Yellow
You are cautious. You should spend most of the time in this state.
Awareness is switched on.
State of threat awareness and relaxed alertness.
You have a 360-degree peripheral awareness of such environmental danger spots as secluded doorways, entries, and alleys, as well as such psychological triggers as adrenal dump and attacker ruses. Be aware of people, vehicles, behind large objects, dark areas, etc.
Condition Orange
You are in danger. You are aware of a potential threat.
State of threat evaluation.
Specific alert. A possible target has been identified. A particular situation that has drawn your attention and could present a major problem. Someone may be giving oral indicators such as direct threats or using suspicious language. Focus on the potential attacker.
Check to see if there is an avenue of escape, potential weapons available, and if others around you are friend or foe.
Decision is made to take action.
Condition Red
You are in conflict.
State of threat avoidance.
Fight or flight. Flee, defend, or attack. You have evaluated the situation, and if there is a threat, you prepare to fight or run.
Never stand or fight if there is a possibility of fleeing.
Carry out decision to act made in Condition Orange. You don't have to think; no indecision on the course of action; you are prepared.
If use of physical self-defense techniques is necessary, use the level of force appropriate to the threat. E.g., don't treat someone who pushes you because he is rude like someone who is trying to stab you with a knife.

Starting right now, be in Condition Yellow. Throughout your day, identify potential areas of danger and switch to Condition Orange as necessary. Switch back to Condition Yellow if no threat exists. Do this exercise again tomorrow. And the next day. And so on. Eventually, awareness becomes a habit. Make the most important self-defense skill, awareness, a habit.
I hope we can all learn from this tragedy. Be aware. Situate yourself for E and E (escape and evade). Stay away from obvious danger. Watch people and assess. Be safe.

Semper Paratus

Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment