Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Top Gun Survey Says... Baloney!

This is a short article that I feel has a sensational headline. I also feel that the article is showing “both sides” of the issue, but leaning toward anti-gun. See for yourself.

The Hill 06/17/15
“Gun owners not likely to use firearms for self-defense, study claims”
By Tim Devaney
A new study attempts to debunk the claim that gun owners rely on their firearms for self-defense.
The left-leaning Violence Policy Center released a study Wednesday that finds people are much more likely to use a gun to kill someone without cause than to protect themselves.
According to the study, gun owners committed 259 justifiable homicides compared to 8,342 criminal homicides in 2012, the most recent year data was available.
That means gun owners are 32 times more likely to kill someone without cause than to act in self-defense, the study reasoned.
“We hope legislators in every state will stop believing the self-defense myth and look at the facts,” says Julia Wyman, executive director of States United to Prevent Gun Violence. “Guns do not make our families or communities safer.”
But the National Rifle Association (NRA) called the study into question.
"This 'so-called' study, which was paid for and promoted by gun control advocates is rubbish," NRA spokeswoman Jennifer Baker said. "VPC fails to note that only a fraction of defensive firearm homicides are reported to the FBI and the study doesn't account for the many crimes deterred by a firearm that do not result in a homicide. Recent polling shows that most Americans believe exercising their constitutional right to self-protection makes them safer and this is just another transparent attempt to push gun control.”

This article is biased trash. It explains one side of the issue in great detail and then trails off on the other side of the issue. At least there IS another side presented, so I give the writer a little credit. But it’s pretty obvious. This is why I cannot stand surveys, studies, or polls. Especially concerning guns. The average American gets a phone call (and who has a land line anymore anyway?) asking about the guns they have? I would think most people would not want to talk about their guns on the phone with anyone but especially someone they don’t know. I try to keep a little privacy in my life and I don’t really think very many gun owners are that different. In this study, gun owners are lumped in with criminals. As I read it I was skeptical (I am usually pretty skeptical about mainstream media anyway) but when I read that the study considered “justifiable homicides” the same as criminal homicides, I knew that this study wasn’t really interested in finding hard data about self-defense. Homicide is defined as the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another. So how can a legal self-defense act be a homicide, even though the defense was lethal? The writer really has no intention of giving fair reporting and the study set out to prove a preconceived idea that even if it is self-defense, it is homicide. Therefore, guns…bad. The NRA falls into the same trap though by bringing up their poll. Surveys, polls, and studies can be, and it seems to me usually are, manipulated data. Seldom are these things done honestly if you ask me. The questions are formed and worded a certain way. Actual facts are changed by adding two sets of facts together, which changes them, and they are still called reports and data. I have to admit, I’ve used a study that I thought was favorable to my point of view in whatever article I was writing before. I try to not do this, but if you read through this blog you will probably see it.
Honesty is an antiquated idea. Deception seems to be the rule of the day. Hilary Clinton is a politician. But I get the impression she is, and has been for many years, very dishonest. I’m so glad that Mitt Romney was never elected President. It would have ruined him. Most politicians I think are dishonest. Sadly they are in power.
When I see someone has written a “news” story completely based on a study, I know it’s probably not worth my time. I have seen some writers actually honestly report a study on both sides of the issue. But they are few and far between. Tell me about a study and my eyes glaze over. Most of the time you know nothing about the study. The organization that did the study is mentioned if it adds credibility to the study. You don’t know how the “scientists” came to their conclusions. Stay away from these shysters, they will try to prove their opinion with someone else’s study. It is a joke. Speaking of jokes…
The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment