Thursday, October 5, 2017

How To Store Ammo and How Much


If you shoot a lot, whether it is competition, keeping your skills up, or hunting, you’ll probably store some ammo. As with long-term storage of almost any item, try to focus on storing ammunition in cool, dark and dry areas. The number one concern with extended ammunition storage is moisture and humidity, which can lead to corrosion. In general, ammunition must be protected from moisture and should also be protected from temperature extremes.
In most cases, you can adequately store modern ammunition in their original paper boxes for several years inside your house, which typically has a controlled humidity level. However, this does not address the challenges of storing ammunition for 3-5 years or longer. If you plan on storing it for any longer time periods, than you need to take a several precautions:
1. Store your ammunition in a low humidity location. Humidity is the enemy and it will kill your ammunition with corrosion, thus making the rounds dangerous to fire. One of the best methods for extending the service life is to use ammo cans. If you have good ammo cans and pack your ammo well you can easily have your ammunition survive very long term storage.

When using ammo cans, the key to success is to lower the humidity in all the packing material before sealing the ammunition in an airtight ammo can. If you are storing loose ammunition this is not really an issue since there is nothing to trap humidity, but air. If you are storing your ammunition in cardboard boxes inside the ammo can you will need to get the humidity out of the cardboard before sealing the can for storage. The easiest way is to use a dehumidifier, you probably have on inside your gun safe to protect your guns. Placing the ammo and container (unsealed and open) inside the safe several days will draw the moisture out of all the packing material to ensure you start with the proper humidity conditions. Also, make sure that the ammunition itself is clean, dry, and wiped off, especially if you have handled it with your hands. Next take a few new desiccant packets and place them in the ammo can. The great thing about using silica gel desiccant packets is that they can be recycled and reused by simply putting them in a dehydrator or in a kitchen oven on a 150 F degree setting for a few hours, which will remove the humidity and moisture for reuse. In addition, add a humidity sensor card to provide a quick visual inspection as you conduct periodic checks of your ammo. All you need to do now is seal the ammo can and it should give you years of successful storage.

Another method to fighting the humidity problem is to vacuum seal your ammunition to help protect it from water, rusting or even burying it underground. Use a desiccant packet in your vacuum sealing process for added protection.
2. Rotate your ammunition whenever possible. It is important to note not to store you ammunition longer than necessary. Rotation, just like long-term food storage, is the second key to successfully storing ammo. Rotate your ammunition as often as possible and make sure you mark dates on your ammo cans so you use the oldest ammo first.
3. Now that you have your ammunition sealed and stored you will need to conduct periodic checks every 12 to 24 months. This step will only take a few seconds if you placed a humidity sensor card in the ammo can during step number one. Simply, inspect the card to ensure the humidity is less than 30%. You can also remove the existing desiccant packets and replace with new (or recycled) desiccant packets. Doing periodic checks will make sure your stocks are ready when you need them.

Now that you know how to store ammo the question is how much? This question has been debated for years. I’d like to shed a little light on this but I’m sure there will be many voices that may agree or disagree. I’ve noticed this subject is not really one that even gets discussed with shooting buddies at the range. No one wants to admit that they are a little paranoid or even genuinely concerned about future laws, current political climate, or even ammo availability. All of these things are good reasons to store ammunition. I have stored ammo for years only because I want to be able to shoot what I want, when I want. I live outside a small town that has only so much ammunition is so many calibers. When the crunch hit in 2008 to 2014 I didn’t have any problems because I had ammo storage. I was looking, like everyone else, because I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to replenish what I was using. It didn’t stop me from training though, which I’m grateful for.
I’d love to be able to say there is a fast and hard rule for an amount of stored ammunition. There is not. Everyone will give you a different answer. Try searching the internet for that answer. You will come away more confused than you started. Some say you need X amount for a zombie apocalypse. Others think that’s silly and talk about specific amounts for practicing, hunting, and defense. Some just have a rule of thumb “X number”. So I guess I need to do the same. As a general rule of thumb, I would suggest you keep a minimum of 1,000 rounds of ammunition per caliber stored away not to be used for practice, and another pile of 1,000 rounds for practice. That amount will fluctuate as you use it and replace it. That’s a minimum of 2,000 rounds that you should buy over time, and that’s also just for one caliber. I actually put my storage goals on my ammunition inventory sheet. Some calibers I will get more than others. These numbers depend on your guns. I have several 9mm hand guns and even a 9mm carbine. Obviously, I’ll get more of that than a little .25 caliber handgun that we own. I shoot a lot of 9mm and .22, so that number will be higher than my stock of .308. I don’t hunt anymore so I’ll shoot that rifle once in a while. We only own one .308 rifle so that will influence how much we stock. 2,000 is just a number and you should be realistic about the amount you think you’ll need. Some say an Army infantry soldier carries only 210 rounds in his load out. That may be true, but what kind of re-supply can he receive? I don’t plan on having firefights but what if I did? Would I be able to take care of those ammo needs? I’m not suggesting 10,000 rounds per battle rifle, but I’m suggesting being real. Those that say you’ll never be in a war situation are being un-realistic. It could happen, but is it likely? These are the questions you must ask and answer. Don’t impugn someone’s choice of storage ammunition. If that’s the way they feel who’s to say they are wrong? Like food, water or any other preparations, you must decide for yourself. I feel comfortable with the above 1,000 for practice, and 1,000 for storage “rule”. Would I ever have more than that? Of course, Rudyard Kipling said it best:
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."
I suppose he knew. Storing ammunition can be easy and simple, but you must do your best to be safe. I’m not too worried about kids getting into ammo. Why are some politicians so worried about ammunition but not about sharp knives in the home? Ammunition is pretty safe outside of a gun. Yes it will “explode” but without the confinement of a guns chamber, the bullet won’t “shoot”. Being able to hit a primer at the right angle and pressure is difficult unless you get a nail and a hammer. Power tools, steak knives, and over-used electrical outlets are more dangerous than loose ammunition. But I digress.
You must determine how much ammunition to store. If you follow the above precautions, you will have years of service from stored ammo. If you know the origin of the ammo, and how it was stored, you can probably safely shoot it. If you do not, be very careful with it. Old ammo can be dangerous. Corroded ammunition should never be shot. It’s not worth the risk to your safety, to others around you, and to your gun. I’ve seen people do this, but in experimental form. With a specific gun mounted, and being safely away from the gun when it shot. I would strongly advise against it! It’s not worth those few cents.
I will share with you several ideas I found on the internet and you can see how crazy it can be out there.
Example 1: Hunting ammo should include (a minimum) of 1000 rounds of assorted hunting loads for your shotgun, 400 rounds for your big game rifle, and 4000 rounds of .22 Long Rifle.
Defensive ammo should include (a minimum) of 500 rounds of defensive ammo for your tactical shotgun, 1000 rounds for your handgun, and 2000 rounds for your rifle. For the rifle and pistol also have a good supply of magazines.

Example 2: Hunting and defense ammo. Both types of ammo are highly essential for SHTF. For defense, you should stock up a minimum of 500 rounds of defensive ammo for your shotgun, approximately 2000 rounds for your rifle and finally 1000 rounds for your handgun.

Meanwhile for hunting, you should possess at least 1000 rounds of varying and assorted hunting loads for your shotgun, 400 rounds just for your large game rifle and finally 4000 rounds for your .22lr rifle

Example 3: Input I have collected from numerous preppers seem to settle on the figure of at least 5,000 rounds per caliber on hand

Example 4: Looking at the Army’s own information about this, we find that infantry soldiers carry a total of 210 rounds of ammunition for their rifles. That consists of one magazine of 30 rounds in their rifle and six more magazines of 30 rounds attached to their plate carrier and/or chest rig.

Then it would seem that 1,000 rounds of good rifle ammo and 150+ good pistol ammo is a bare minimum for stockpiling when the you-know-what hits the fan.

As I’ve said above, use discretion, wisdom, and some sense in choosing what you will store. As far as fire hazard, ammunition is not. But that’s for another article.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

1 comment:

  1. Great info thank you, all info facts help and make prepping much less work ! You do exactly as I do. I'm not the only one. Being a man I use regular military ammo cans. For pistol calibers I use 30cal cans and rifle I use 50cal cans. I also keep either clay kitty litter in the bottoms or desiccant of some type in each can. I don't use shot guns."
    because of a spinal condition. One thing I did to save money, I don't have a range bag. I use a canvas duffle bag. I keep pistols, eyes and ears and cold drinks etc. keep your firearms and ammo DRY. in a safe or in a ca

    ReplyDelete