Thursday, October 5, 2017

Monthly Read: Book Review For October

Once a month I will review and recommend a book. I know in this digital world that paper books are a little out dated. Most hard copy books are now in digital form, often in PDF. I would recommend a good well rounded hard copy library in your home. Some of the best books are old and out of print. There are certain publishers and authors I really like. This will be books I like and really only my opinion. If you’d like to recommend a book for me to review e-mail me and we can make it happen. The subjects will be varied but will have to do with the theme of this website, LDS Gunsite. Guns, preparedness, LDS History, security, self-defense, and patriotism are just a few examples. I have a big library of mostly reference books so I will draw heavily from that. Some books may be old and out of print. But most will be books you can find on Amazon.
October’s Monthly Read is: Wood Heat by John Vivian
Publishers review
More and more people are buying stoves, having fireplaces installed, laying in cords of firewood. This book will tell you everything you need to know, and more, about heating with wood. There is a photo series showing how a masonry fireplace is built, line drawings showing the proper way to install an insulated stovepipe chimney, a chapter on annual maintenance, and a visual guide to 22 of the most common North American fuelwood trees.
My review:
I love this book! I borrowed an old copy from a friend and kept it for longer than I should. When I went to return he told me I could keep it. I was so grateful! Then I found a more recent edition of it and just last year gave away that original copy to someone who just built a new house with a wood stove in it. So it went to a good home.
This book is very thorough as far as it covers literally everything concerning heating with wood in your home. I love the illustrations in it. It covers building your own stove to most of the commercial stoves that are out there. The author gives you lots of ideas for cutting, splitting, and storing wood. I learned much about heating with wood from this book. I recommend it whole heartedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment