Friday, May 18, 2018

Choosing Your Home Defense Handgun

I just got a text today. It said, “What kind of hand gun do you feel is best for home defense?” Pardon the gun pun, but that’s a “loaded” question.
I assume the person was set on a hand gun rather than a long gun so I’ll only address hand guns. Long guns and shot guns are used in home defense but they are a whole other article.
The best way to pick a gun is to shoot it. Which means you may have to test drive several. I would recommend an auto loader action only because of round count. Revolvers are extremely reliable and if you become very good you can reload with moon clips or ammo strips. I am not, but I do like revolvers for other things. I even carried an S&W Airweight once.
My suggestion for choosing a home defense gun is to start practically. Obviously the gun is for home defense but will it also be used as a carry gun? If so, what size gun are you willing to carry? Consider the gun size. Full size, compact, sub-compact. Each of these have their good and bad points. If you carry then maybe a compact or sub-compact would double as a home defense weapon.
After purpose and action I would choose caliber. This will determine size somewhat. There are many opinions about this question. You’ll hear words like “stopping power” and “recoil”. I seem to be more practical about this. I want quantity. I draw the line with caliber at 9mm. I don’t want something of less caliber. I know that shot placement changes everything. If I can shoot an attacker between the eyes it doesn’t really matter what caliber I use. But I also think that under stress and fear I may not function the same as shooting a paper target at the range. In fact I know my accuracy is affected. I like the ballistics of 9mm. .45 ACP is fine but I don’t like the size, weight, cost, and round count in comparison. So that is my recommendation. But if you have small hands, or can’t control the kick, then maybe something smaller is for you. There is the popular .380 or .25 or even .22 caliber. Any gun is better than no gun in my opinion. Be careful about rounds that will through the attacker and the wall behind them. This is another reason why I don’t want to go higher than a 9mm. But any caliber will go through walls and doors in spite of what the movies show you. Reality is that there is very little in an average home that a bullet will not penetrate. Not a coach, a refrigerator, a bed, or a wall is cover. Rifle rounds are even more powerful.
After caliber I would consider round count. There auto load single or double stack magazines. Double stacks are a bulkier, wider gun. But I love it! I like having the option of 13 rounds in the gun. I do own single stacks and their round count is 8. So there’s my difference. Some people have a problem shooting sub-compacts because they are too small. I’ve learned to compensate but they take getting used to.
Next is reliability and price. I know that you can’t put a price on security. I’m cheap so I can. That’s why I put reliability with price. There are many good, quality, hand guns on the market. I have even shot well with a Hi-Point. I found that shooting accurately has more to do with the shooter than the gun. But reliability is a real consideration. I know I will get flak for this but I don’t want a Glock. Many people swear by them and rightly so. They are extremely reliable. I’ve owned them and sold them. I don’t hate on them but I can’t abide the price! There are many other guns out there that will serve me without breaking my budget. I like Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Taurus, and even Kel-Tec. I don’t have to have a Kimber, nice though they are. That is just me, you have to decide.
Purpose
Size
Action
Caliber
Reliability
Price
Storage ability
Remember an important rule if you planning to have a gun for home defense and concealed carry. It has to be comfortable and not a hassle. If it is a big burden you will leave it at home more than you carry it.
Also remember that defending yourself in confined spaces is difficult at best. Add to that stress darkness and then being sure where your rounds end up (it says on a .22 box that they can go a mile!), you need to have some training. Get to know your gun. Practice often and continue training.
In professional circles defending in a small space is called CQB or close quarters battle. It is not real easy but it is quite possible to learn. But you must get competent training. There are even good videos out there although nothing can replace a good instructor. I don’t think you have to know what a SWAT team knows or an operator, but there are some things to know and to practice. Get to know your house, apartment, or dorm room. Know where things are. Be able to walk through your house in the dark without killing yourself. Arrange room furniture so it will be easy for someone who knows the house, but difficult for someone who does not in the dark. If you can, build a safe room, (a solid door, very secure locks, with some concealment, with a little food and water, a flashlight, a phone, possibly an outside exit) to be able to go to in case of emergency. If the room could double as a safe room for natural disasters that would be even better.
In any case, having a good light on your gun or available for target identification is crucial. I can also help blind an attacker. But knowing how and when to use this is important training too. Once that light is on, the attacker has an idea where you are. Never shoot blindly. In combat that might be considered suppressive fire, but in home defense it is a recipe for disaster. I would rather scare a family member than shoot them. Maybe you left your front door open and a drunk neighbor is in your house. Target identification is mandatory and crucial.
Practicing with your gun is important. One class and shooting once or twice a year won’t cut it. Shooting is a perishable skill.
Defending your home and family is your inalienable right. Doing it right is something you don’t want to get wrong. Choosing the gun that is best for you and your situation is not difficult, but requires some preparation.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment