Friday, May 4, 2018

My Rationalization

I’ve heard many different views about carrying a gun in an LDS Church. Some I agree with, others I don’t. I know the Church’s policy and I know the law in Utah. I do not live in Utah though I seem to visit there a lot. I don’t think I have ever advocated for anyone to break the law of any state. I hope that you will be serious enough about carrying a gun that you would give carrying in an LDS Church much thought and prayer. DO NOT break laws! Do not carry in an LDS Church in Utah! I know that is do what I say, not what I do. I will give you my justification for my breaking this policy. I hope you will not misconstrue this to be anything other than my personal business and opinion. I could very well be wrong.
I have been involved with guns for over 40 years. I have been an instructor since 1985. I’ve competed with guns, and have been a certified gunsmith at one time. I don’t know what an expert is, but that would have to be close to my experience. I’ve trained military, law enforcement, private citizens, and family. I feel very comfortable around firearms. I have carried concealed for over 20 years and have been in combat zones. I’m not trying to toot my own horn here but if law enforcement carry in a church, could not their firearm instructor also? Maybe that is rationalization. I don’t think it is.
Let me give you a sample of the reasons I carry at church.
“2 Shot Dead In Mormon Library”
April 16, 1999

“Woman shot to death outside church”
January 6th, 2008

“Mormon bishop fatally shot in California chapel; gunman killed”
Aug. 30 2010

“Police shoot armed man outside LDS temple”
December 26, 2010

“Police: 2 Shot In Parking Lot Of West Side Mormon Temple”
February 26, 2013

“Mormon temple parking-lot shooting: Man who killed wife dies, too”
April 12, 2013

“Son of judge killed himself in Las Vegas LDS temple courtyard”
Nov. 20 2013

“Woman shot outside of church in South Salt Lake”
October 17, 2014

EAGAR, Arizona — An Arizona man is dead and two others injured — including a pregnant woman — after he began shooting at a LDS stake center in Eagar, Arizona, and later at his residence, officials say.
“Suspect killed by police after shooting at Mormon stake center”
May 24 2015

OAKLEY, CA — Two people were shot, and another bludgeoned multiple times, during a large fight between two groups outside the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints while Sunday service was getting out, police said.
June 28, 2015

GILBERT, Ariz. - Gilbert police are looking Wednesday morning for the three men involved in shooting a 19-year-old man at an LDS church Tuesday night.
April 20, 2016

“Police have arrested a 30-year-old Smithfield man, Jason Summers, who is accused of shooting at someone while trying to break into an LDS Church, Thursday night.”
July 8, 2016

Riverside, CA - Girl abducted from Mormon church sexually assaulted in dumpster
June 28, 2017


On November 29 a jihadist media group published an image suggesting San Diego could be in the crosshairs of terrorists this holiday season. The San Diego California Temple in University City appears to be their target of choice. An image of a terrorist holding an assault rifle was superimposed on the Mormon temple, which appears to be on fire. The two towering spires rise up on either side of the jihadist. A statement at the bottom of the image reads, “Coming Soon..#San_Diego.” The words “Coming Soon” are wrapped in Christmas decorations and splattered with red.
November 2017

As you can see these date back to 1999. These are 14 incidents in less than 20 years. The chances are slim that you or I would ever be involved in anything like these incidents. But it’s like a fire. Do we have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers because fires happen many times a week? I have never experienced a fire. So can I throw out those smoke detectors? No, but I must remain vigilant. The same goes for my, and my families, safety and security. We should be vigilant.
Also, I can’t imagine how I would feel if I survived an attack at church, and had the tools, the experience, and the training to have saved lives, and chose something else.
All of these things I use as my “reasons” to not follow policy. Maybe they’re excuses, I don’t know.
You must decide if you are an LDS member and carry, whether you will follow this policy or not. I do not encourage breaking this policy, but I do encourage finding out for yourself.
(See Security In An LDS Church 5/19/2014)

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment