Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Caring For and Cleaning Your Guns

I am not a gun collector. Yet I have many guns. My biggest problem is I can’t resist a deal and deals always seem to come my way. I had an opportunity once to buy a whole collection at once. 14 Handguns, shotguns, and rifles. The nice lady was asking $1000 for the whole lot. That is quite a deal. Other times it’s someone who is not a gun person but got this old .38 from their Grandfather. Each time I give them an honest opinion of what I think the gun or guns are worth. I also remind them that even if you’re not into guns this could be something to pass down. If you’re worried don’t buy ammo or get rid of what you have. I would not have bought 14 guns at once. The collection was worth somewhere around $2500 or more! This is what I told the lady. She was not interested in selling the guns one by one, she wanted them gone. The .38 was actually a police issue gun for the Chicago police department. It was in very good shape and from the serial number was worth 3 times what they were selling it for. No, they wanted the $100 that they were asking. So that’s how I acquire so many guns. I also have a lot of people ask me about guns because they just acquired one from somewhere unexpected. Often they decide to sell the gun and come back asking if I want to buy. So that’s my excuse for having so many guns. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!
Having so many guns is a challenge to take care of them. I don’t mind cleaning guns, in fact it relaxes me. I like to watch a particular movie when I clean. John Wayne’s “The Green Berets.” Don’t ask me why.
Most people don’t like to clean their guns and so cleaning is pretty sparse.
Here are 5 tips for taking care of your guns.
First and foremost is safety. Remember to keep ammo away from the area you are cleaning. It’s best to just leave the ammo in another room. If all ammo is not even in the room where you are cleaning, you won’t have a negligent discharge. Remember the 4 safety rules apply even when cleaning.
When do you clean a gun?
This varies with each person. Sometimes it is mandatory, other times it’s subjective.
Whenever you fire corrosive ammunition through your gun, you should clean it. Most of what is sold today is not corrosive, but older military surplus ammo likely is. Corrosive ammo leaves residue that can eat up the metal of your gun. Sometimes cheap ammo is not the cleanest ammo either. This may be another good time to clean. If you can see gunk in your receiver or barrel, it’s time to clean. I’m not talking about dark color, but actual residue.
Sometimes it’s the number of rounds you put through a gun. I go to the range often but I usually limit myself to 50 rounds. Unless I’m breaking in a gun or testing it.
Often I won’t clean a gun until I know I’ve put about 200 to 500 rounds depending on the ammo. My carry guns get special treatment and are cleaned often. If I were to shoot only a few times a year I would clean after ever shooting session. Only because your gun is stored for a long period, you want it to be clean while in storage.
Cleaning material
Using the wrong cleaner can make cleaning more difficult than it really is.
The best cleaners are: Hoppe’s No. 9 bore cleaner, Ballistol, Break-free CLP.
Use cloth that does not leave lint, “fuzz”, or strings.
Which kit is the best?
If you only have a few guns, you can probably buy a basic kit and be OK. But multiple guns, handguns: revolvers and autos, rifles: bolt action and autos, and shotguns all require different brushes and rods. Different calibers multiply these needs.
I don’t care much for commercial store-bought kits. I do buy them, but I usually buy many different ones. My kit is specialized for my guns, and my way of cleaning. It’s a big kit because I have many guns. Sometimes I use the different items that come in kits and sometimes I just throw certain pieces away. I know what works for me and what I need. So my cleaning kit is completely custom from several kits. I replenish it with cleaner, oil, and patches. Once in a while there will be a new product I will test in my kit. When bore snakes first came onto the market I tried one. I now have a big variety of them and like the way they work in my system.
You may find a kit that works for you without building from scratch. Experiment with different products. It is an evolving process. I have recommended Red’s Bore Cleaner recipe on this site before. I used to use it for many years. It got to the point that I didn’t have the time to make my own cleaner so I stopped. I use CLP now.
Oil
Like the inside of your car your gun has moving parts and springs. It is mechanical. Oil keeps everything moving smoothly and protects against moisture and rust. Not all oils are the same. If your oil is cheap it’s probably not doing a great job. I think this true of motor oil and gun oil. Does this mean your gun oil has to be expensive? No, of course not. It must be high quality. Cheap oil tends to break down quickly and turn to gunk. Ask your gun store and experiment a little. Not to the detriment of your gun metal though. Hoppe’s #9 is pretty good. I like CLP better.
Storing guns
Safety: Your guns should not be a danger to anyone who lives with you or who may be in your home. Even if you have no children living with you will there ever be children visiting? Not just children. Some adults have a real problem with guns. If you can show them that you are responsible it will go a long way to teaching them about gun safety.
I visit my adult children occasionally. They have children so I bring a lock box with me for my, and my wife’s gun. My kids and their spouses really have no problems with guns. But they are grateful we are mindful of our Grandchildren.
Security: Guns can get expensive. They are also sought after by criminals because they can mean something to sell or use in their criminal activities. Keeping your guns secure is in your best interest and security keeps the safety factor high too.
Clean and dry: Make sure your guns are cared for if they will be stored in a harsh environment. If they are in a safe or locked box there are many products that will control humidity. If you live in a high humidity area this might be even more important than the dry southwest. Be mindful of dust. Storing your guns under a bed is fine if they are protected from dust. You bed can put off a lot of dust.
Being a gun owner means being responsible in many ways. Safety and security are controlling others. Storing in a proper case/safe/cabinet can help you to make your investment last for many years. Guns can be an heirloom that is passed on to generations if they are cared for in the right way.
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment