Tuesday, January 31, 2017

3rd Year, Oaths, and Immigration Security

LDS Gunsite turns 3! It is our 3rd birthday of writing this blog. We hope we have been a help and service to you and will continue to be. It’s been a fun 3 years! I was thinking about the pledge of allegiance a few days ago. I remember as an elementary school student reciting this pledge daily. Once a month the whole school gathered around the flag pole, the school band played the national anthem, and we all recited this pledge. It was fun to all meet together for this special pledge. “From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural school house, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty.... In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource, in peace or in war.” 1954 President Eisenhower President Eisenhower understood what this country needs. Reciting the pledge is an honorable thing to do. As an American, it should not be a problem to recite this oath and live by it. There are some people who won’t do it. For one reason or another their lives have not gone as they think it should have and they don’t like something about this country. Maybe it’s government or something else. I can respect their choice. But I have a problem with people that want all the freedom that this country gives, but feel no obligation to the country or the symbols of this country. I think it’s dishonorable to claim the freedom of speech in this country but have a disdain for the country that upholds that right. I agree with the founders that certain rights are given to us from God. There was a phrase from the 60’s that I think bears repeating: “America, Love it or leave it!” The pledge was the first oath I ever took. “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the Republic for which it stands, on Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” I was young and impressionable. My parents flew the flag every holiday and Flag Day. My Dad was in the Navy during World War II. My parents knew what it felt like to love your country and to be patriotic. Some people have an idea that to be patriotic means to accept the faults of society and government and politicians. That is not so. Being patriotic is loving this country for what it is, an idea. An experiment that has lit the world for two centuries. I believe that it is treasonous the way some treat that idea. It’s not just a crime against living Americans but those who lived and died for it. Lincoln called that the last full measure of devotion. Excuse my passion about this. I served in the military. I have friends who gave that full measure. That’s why that sour anti-U.S. attitude makes me angry. I have a tolerance problem. My next oath was the one I took as a Boy Scout. “On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.” This oath is important because it puts things into perspective. First duty to God. Then duty to country. Then duty to self. This oath has helped me to be a better person and has cemented my duty to God and country. When I joined the military one of the first things they have you do is take an oath. Here is mine: “I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.” All of these oaths have things in common. The first is God. You can try and tell me that the Founding fathers did not want God in government, but you would be horribly wrong. The founders were concerned about having religion in government, not God. The other thing that these oaths have in common is honor. It takes honor to keep these oaths. Those people who hack away at our country or its symbols do not show me much honor. That is what bothers me so much. Stomping on our flag, chanting anti-U.S.A. slogans, this is what I consider to be dishonorable. Honor others rights and beliefs. That’s when I ask people to leave my country. If you don’t like what our government is doing then write your congressman or peacefully protest. The minute you get violent or disrespect others who have nothing to do with your protest, then you may feel some wrath. Violence will give you violence, but don’t expect my violence to be anemic. Honor and duty to God is something that means a lot to me. Oaths mean something to me. When people choose to be baptized, covenants are made. This is similar to an oath but has with it a more serious connotation. A promise that involves God is always important. Americans should be an oath taking, oath keeping people. We should live with honor. Even if we don’t agree, I honor others’ rights. Live honorably. Respect others especially those who served, fought, or died for this country. Remember the oaths you have taken and change your life to adhere to those oaths. A new year is a good time to make changes and recommit. I’ve taken the above oaths and will do my best to keep them, uphold their values, and keep the promises I’ve made. I pledge allegiance to the flag and republic, I will do my best to do my duty to God, and I will defend the Constitution. I will do all these things because I said I would. Nothing has changed. I’m no longer am in the military. I am a Scout leader and I am still an American citizen. Circumstances may change, but my integrity remains. I don’t need an “open” mind about this. It was taught to me from birth both in word and more importantly, by example. I can change my mind, I’m not brainwashed. My experiences have brought me to show respect for this country and its symbols. They have brought me to defend something worth defending. Some more liberal minded citizens would not agree. That’s OK. They are just lucky to live in a place where you can complain about the government long and load and not end up in prison or worse. I’ve been labeled with lots of things: gun lover (which is true), racist (that’s not really true, I dislike stupid people of every color!), xenophobic ( I doubt that seriously. My daughters and sons have married Hispanics, Mexicans, and Canadians!), homophobic (Actually I just can’t stand people who’s sexual preference defines them. Is nothing private anymore?). It reminds me of these lines from the 90’s series The West Wing: Bartlet I know we disagree. LOBELL You know why? BARTLET 'Cause I'm a lily-livered, bleeding-heart, liberal, egg head, communist. LOBELL Yes, sir. And I'm a gun-totin', redneck son-of-a-b****. BARTLET Yes, you are. LOBELL We agree on that. I love this country. I tried very hard for 8 long years to never refer to our President as anything but President Obama. I didn’t like much about him, but he was the President. I complained about decisions, laws, executive orders, and policies, but I never protested, whined on T.V., or certainly not rioted. Had I done that, nothing would have become of it. I would looked like an idiot and those that oppose my thinking would have hated me more. I understand not agreeing with our current President, but he still is our President no matter how many “not my president” signs you hold. I had to put up with someone I had a problem with for 8 years, now suck it up! I don’t always agree with President Trump but I do agree that the media sucks and makes a lot of things that are not really things. President Obama put certain countries on a list his administration considered supporters of terrorism. President Obama also banned immigration from Iraq for 6 months. President Trump is doing it for less than 6 months and is just trying to give his administration time to sort out what problems exist and to deal with them. Ask Germany how open borders and loose immigration has treated them? In 2016 this happened to them: On 19 December, a man ploughed a lorry into a busy Christmas market in the heart of Berlin. The driver fled the scene but was arrested nearby. He killed 12 and injured 48. On 18 July, a teenage Afghan refugee hacked at passengers on a train in Wuerzburg with an axe and knife, wounding 5. He was shot dead by police. On 22 July, a German teenager of Iranian heritage shot dead 9 people in Munich before shooting himself dead. On 24 July, a 21-year-old Syrian refugee killed a woman with a machete and wounded 5 other people as he fled before being arrested. Later that day, a 27-year-old Syrian whose refugee application had been refused blew himself up outside a bar in Ansbach. 15 people were wounded. I don’t understand the people who can’t see that getting a hold of border security is in our best interest. It boggles my mind. President Trump is not closing our borders for good, but for only 3 months, and only from certain countries. It is not against a religion, but an ideology. It does effect law abiding people and good people. Well, I’m old enough to remember flying pre-911. It’s a pain in the neck and it inconveniences me. But if you are not a citizen of this country don’t expect the U.S. to give up some security for convenience concerning you. Listening to the news I hear a lot of whining. Until someone blows something up. Then the same whiners want something to happen now to keep them safe! I’m not saying we should close down the land of the free to the world, but we must take care of ourselves. Have you ever traveled to Asian, Middle Eastern, or some South American countries? Armed soldiers are in the streets! Then when the U.S. closes borders to some countries people are up in arms. Would you prefer soldiers in the streets? Martial law? In all of this rhetoric take at least one thing from rant. This country is worth fighting for and your safety and security is really in your own hands. Not the hands of the police or military or government. Thanks for putting up with my ravings for 3 years. If anyone is interested in participating by commenting, or writing yourself, please contact me. Burningbush8@hotmail.com Semper Paratus Check 6 Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment