Thursday, September 21, 2017

Basic Privacy: Big Brother Is Out There

Privacy is something that is slowly going away. Especially in this internet, computer driven world. Try Googling your name. It’s amazing what you may find. I try it once a month and then try to change that footprint.
I like Facebook. It’s a way that works for me to stay in touch with my kids and others. I don’t like the openness of Facebook. I check my settings often and my profile is very limited. I do post a few pictures, but really very few. I have Twitter and Instagram accounts and will use them occasionally. I’m very careful what I post and who can see it. You can’t see much on my Facebook profile except who I’m married to and who I am. You can’t find my birthdate, my location, or even where I work. Those pieces of information are not available. I look at my security info on my e-mail accounts and other accounts quite often. You should too. I block websites that don’t give a choice to receive their spam mail. There is some info I want sent to me. I’d recommend getting the sale circular from Impact Guns in Utah
https://www.impactguns.com/. They have stores in Ogden and SLC, Utah. Plus one in Boise, ID.
Or Gunnies in Orem, Utah. http://gunnies.com/ I subscribe to their pages and so I get info from them all the time. I don’t live in Utah but I have relatives near there that pick things up for me occasionally. Or I have it shipped. Anyway, the point is, there is some advertising that I want to have sent to me regularly. But most I do not. I am constantly “unsubscribing” to stuff that is sent to me. It’s a pain, but I want to keep my e-mail as clean as I can. Sometimes you can be paranoid and think that big brother is always watching. Well big brother IS watching. Make sure you do things with discretion.
Google Earth is a wonderful tool but I don’t really want to be found by everyone with 4G and a cell phone. I can’t change the fact that satellites can see me but I do what I can to maintain a low profile. With Google earth you can blur out your house and cars on the street view. Here’s how:
How to get your property blurred:

* Go to Google Maps and type in your address
* Bring up the street view of your property
* Look to the bottom right hand corner of the screen you should see an Icon Labeled:
“report a problem.”
* Click on “report a problem.”
* You will get a page labeled “report inappropriate street view.”
* Adjust the image so your house is inside the red box.
* Fill out the form
* Type the verification code at the bottom of the page into the box provided and click
“submit”
* Check back in a few days to see if the image has been blurred.

You can also get license plates and faces blurred. For example, if you want a picture of your business on Google Maps but don’t want the license plate number of your vehicle parked in front on Google, you can get that blurred. You can also get your car blurred out as well if you want.

Technology is wonderful. I love the communication opportunities. Growing up I remember one rotary phone in our hallway. Now I hold in my hand the equivalent of my PC at home. It’s amazing what you can do with it, and it is constantly evolving.

We have an internet foot print but what about everywhere else?
Everyone knows that our Social Security number is like gold to a thief. So how do you safeguard it? Who needs it? Your Doctor? Radio Shack?

One of the best ways to get out of giving your Social Security number to someone is to simply overlook it on your paperwork. You may get by without a confrontation. If you're questioned, however, be proactive. The most basic thing you can do is ask the person or organization why they need it. One of the most powerful things you can say is, “Is there a law or requirement that I must provide it to you, and can you tell me what it is?” You can also ask the person requesting your Social what will happen if you don't disclose it.
You aren't legally required to provide your SSN to businesses unless one of the following is true:
You'll be engaging in a transaction that requires notification to the Internal Revenue Service; or
You're initiating a financial transaction subject to federal Customer Identification Program rules.
That would be Insurance companies, Credit card companies, the 3 main credit agencies: TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian.
Any company that sells products or services that require reporting to the IRS.
Any purchases over $10,000. That would be real estate, homes, and vehicles included.
Once a company has your number they are restricted by law with what they can do with it.
What about other little things in our lives?
How about your mail? Your snail mail that is. Should that be private? I get a lot of credit card requests. I also get a crazy amount of mail from the NRA. (They could save a lot of money by not mailing so much!) All of this should be safeguarded. Even the junk. You can tell a lot about someone from their junk mail.
What about your trash? Once it’s on the street it is pretty much public isn’t it? Yes it is. Once you roll your trash can to the curb or place your garbage bags on the sidewalk for pickup, you no longer have an expectation of privacy. In fact, it can even be searched by the police without a warrant. Simple thrown away packaging can speak volumes to the right person. Do you want burglars knowing you just bought a big screen T.V. or a computer? The same goes for guns or even preparation items. Be careful what you put in your trash outside your home. Get a shredder and use it on personal information.
Being private takes a little more effort and it takes a certain mindset. Do you tell others about yourself from the bumper stickers on your vehicle? Be mindful of what you let the public see in detail about your life.
Keep it private!

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment