Monday, September 11, 2017

Remembering 9-11

Today marks the 16th anniversary of an unprecedented attack on our country. I’m not sure how this made any difference to the radical Islamic who seem to hate us just because we exist. I’m also not sure how much rationalizing you need to do convince yourself that killing people just because they are there, will further your cause, but I guess it was done.
I was pretty young when President Kennedy was assassinated but I do remember it. My sister dumped her plate of waffles or pancakes on the floor. It’s funny the details you remember. I’m sure most of you can remember where you were on 9-11. I was working on an Air Force base with an active runway. There were many aircraft in the air doing their training. I’ve never been in in Force Protection Delta in a “real world” situation. Many times I’ve been in it during an exercise, but never in real world. I’ve never seen Air Force aircraft land and recover so fast! During FP Delta no one is supposed to be outside unless performing duties. I was outside briefly and there was an eerie silence over the base. Anyway, that’s my little memory. If you’re interested, share your memory in the comments.
One of my children was a toddler when 9-11 happened and it’s hard to describe to him the way this country, and the world, was before 9-11. In a way, the terrorists have won because they made us change the way we look at security. Obviously it was needed. There were clear problems that hopefully we have solved. The real problem is that you can never be perfectly safe. Especially from an ideology that is hell-bent on killing. That is somewhat the reason for this website. Taking on protection, security, and safety of yourself, your family and friends. You are responsible for your own security. I love law enforcement. I love the military. These men and women are professional and brave. They are the best of the best. I feel they are better trained, disciplined, and determined to care for the safety and security of us as citizens than any other country. They should be commended and lauded as heroes. We, the people, should be forever in their debt! The problem is, they cannot be everywhere. I would love to have my own personal police officer to care for me and look out for me. I would feel safe. But that is impossible. There are approximately 2.3 million law enforcement officers in this country. Many of them are prison guards and so they are not out on the street with us. The military has over 2,250,000 members. Many of them are support troops to keep it all going. But with over 325 million people in this country those 4 to 5 million can hardly keep up with their work load. We do need more and we need to care for them better, pay them better, and acknowledge them better. But to be honest, there will never be enough to keep us safe. If we can take up the slack we can make their job easier and maybe a little safer.
Learn to use a gun. It’s not for everyone, but everyone should know how to be safe with a gun. I’m not saying you should be Jerry Miculek, but each of us should know or way, generally, around a gun. Guns shouldn’t be a scary thing or something to fear holding. There are only four basic rules to learn to be safe. But these must be repeated over and over, and practiced. If you’re not a gun person, find someone who is. Even if you have to go to an instructor. If you own a gun, or there is a gun in your home, every person, even kids, should be safety trained.
Consider your own safety and security. If you won’t, who will?
Remember those who perished on this day 16 years ago. All were innocent, some were just doing their job.
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment