Wednesday, July 29, 2020

My Problem With Anti-Mormon Attacks

Exmos finally got on my nerves yesterday. I know I shouldn’t read or watch their crap. But as I said before, me and Church detractors go waaaay back! I saw my first anti literature on my mission in Eastern Canada in the early 80’s. I’d grown up in a largely LDS community and was somewhat sheltered from that kind of thing. I never really had a challenge to my beliefs except from a few other churches. But out in the real world of the mission field I saw plenty of it. About halfway through my mission I attended a lecture of a guy who claimed to be a “Mormon scholar”. He had “studied” the Church for 8 years. I looked at my companion who had grown up in the Church in Utah and asked him how long he had studied the doctrine of the Church. He said, “Well, I’m a seminary graduate” (at that time to be a missionary in Canada you had to be “clergy”. The Church complied with this requirement by sending only Seminary graduates to Canadian missions). We probably had been studying Church doctrine since we were 14 but really all our twenty years. So between the two of us we probably had at least 20 years. I was amused by the twisted understanding of basic gospel principles that this “scholar” displayed. It wasn’t until he started to talk about missionaries and the MTC that I took any issue with this guy. So at the end when he asked for questions (this was a standing-room-only college auditorium) I stood and told this charlatan he was wrong with his information about the MTC. He balked at me a young kid questioning his scholarly report. I told him I didn’t want to argue with him but I had just been in that MTC 11 months ago and I could assure him he was giving out wrong information. He tried to change the subject by asking me a completely off the subject doctrinal question. I told him that had nothing to do with what I had called him out on. He fumbled around and I finally said to the crowd, “If he’s wrong about the MTC and what missionaries do, what else is he wrong about? Thank you Sir” and sat down. The next day while tracting we taught many lessons. It is true that no unhallowed hand will stop the work of the Lord. Anyway, as time went on I had amassed a shoebox full of anti pamphlets and books. I bequeathed it to my last apartment. Here several years later the internet turns into the biggest purveyor of anti-mormon literature since the Ex-Mormons for Jesus pushed the movie “The Godmakers” in the 80’s. Most of what I see out there is nothing new. Most of it is a skewered view of LDS doctrine sprinkled with opinion and downright lies. The latest kick is called The CES Letter. Sounds ominous doesn’t it? It’s a collection of questions by a guy named Jeremy Runnells. From what I’ve seen, Jeremy is a typical exmo. His lifes work seems to be to pull people away from the Church. He’s been a little successful to the weak-minded. I know that I’ve offended some with that statement. It seems pretty weak-minded when someone is so hung up on history that they give away what they know. Almost every exmo that talks about the CES letter starts off their tirade telling us their “credentials”. They grew up in the church, or held important callings, or served a mission. These things are supposed to lend credence to what follows. I guess this is the place I should tout my credentials. I was born and raised in the Church with ancestors going back to 1831 when they joined the Church. I’ve always been active, have served in just about every calling you can think of including the “big” ones. I’ve never been in a Stake Presidency though. I served on the High council for 6 years, was a Bishop, YM Pres, Stake YM Pres, SS Pres, Every Scouting position, EQ Presidency, I was just released from the Bishopric and called as the EQ President. So, according to exmos, I’m well seasoned. I served a mission and even was a Nursery Leader twice! I was not “shocked” by the info in the CES letter because, unlike a lot of exmos, I actually studied Church history. None of what the CES letter said surprised me. What surprised me is the interpretation of some of this history. I’m surprised Jeremy had never run across this information. Apparently he had not really studied. It’s not buried anywhere. It’s not hidden. It doesn’t take much to find this information but it does take a certain kind of person to come to the conclusions these clowns come to. I’m sorry, seekers not clowns. But Jeremy said he was not a scholar. And I agree, he’s not. But he got a bunch of scholars together and asked them. I’m not really sure that’s what he did. But anyway, he’s devoted a little bit of bandwidth to tearing down the Church. I’m not sure what he gets out of it. I guess the satisfaction of knowing he’s “saved” someone from the cult that we are. (sarcasm is not pretty) I also believe that the latest antagonists of the church are sneaky and deceptive, sometimes the very things they accuse leaders of being. Many of them have recorded things and shared things I feel should be confidential. In my opinion I think they share and record their councils to only try and “shame” the Church. They are really not interested in anything but that. I think it’s interesting that the Church never shares confidential information but the exmos think it’s their duty. To me that’s just being a jerk. It makes me feel like I should do to them what they do to the Church. But as I’m trying to do what is right in my life, I won’t. It grieves my heart that they can’t leave the Church alone. But it fits right in with my theory that the worst enemies of the Church have always been ex members. I call them Zarahemnas because they are not content to leave what they believe is not true, alone. They must “stir up the Lamanites to war”. Coming to know that a religion is not for you is fine, but when you try to actively destroy a religion and tear down a church, that is different.
I know that my PTSD can put me into a fight mode. I don’t look for a fight, but when someone makes it their lifes work to discredit my beliefs that’s when I close and engage. These people need to shut the heck up! If you don’t believe it great. But don’t try to convince the rest of the world that they need to see things your way! Debate is one thing. I don’t mind someone honestly wanting to talk about doctrine and to ask honest questions, but most of this crap is just that, crap. I’ve listened to them and their podcasts and Youtube videos. I see right through the same tactics that have been used since I was on my mission. The CES letter in particular uses a million questions to attack with. Some of them are easy. Others require some research. To answer all these questions would require a lot of time and 3 times the pages of the actual letter! What I can’t understand about these people is that at one time they had a testimony. Were they wrong about what they “knew”? Are they easily persuaded? Some of them grew up in the Church as I did. Are they stupid or lazy? My opinion is that they are weak. I’ve never been stumped by an anti’s question. I’ve never had my world fall apart. I do not doubt what I know. Some of them actually want me to believe that after years in the church, professing spiritual experiences, telling people they know with their testimonies, and then they hear some “earth shattering” information that makes all that they experienced and professed null and void? What kind of commitment and “testimony” is that? That’s why I believe there is either sin involved, or weak minds. Or maybe they just wanted a beer… Look, I’m not trying to insult anyone, but do you see what I mean? I know it was not just one moment they were active and the next they thought “I think I’ll leave the church today.” Often I see a leader involved. Some leaders don’t necessarily drive people away, but I’ve met a few that need a little help dealing with people. There is always some slight, some mean treatment, some one-sided, unfair thing. The CES letter guy kept getting his meeting changed. He never could get his questions answered. Why the heck could he not find answers himself? None of his questions are that difficult. But he couldn’t find it within himself to find these answers. You know something Jeremy, I don’t wish you any ill-will, but I’m grateful people like you are not in this church. It’s not that the church isn’t for everyone but people like you only are a burden on progress. Not because you have questions but because you can’t handle regular life. You have this idea that if a few people can’t or won’t answer you that there are no answers. Often the pursuit of truth takes a life time and sarcastically speaking, “I see you’re in it for the long haul.” No matter how much you tout your mis-information, lies, and opinionated crap it will not stop the progress of the church. No unhallowed hand will. You’ve “saved” other weak people. You will continue to reap the whirlwind. But when anti’s start to get nasty and attack because they don’t like the church, it’s members, or leaders, don’t expect no one to defend those things. If you threaten physical harm on the church or its leaders then you better expect a visit from an unofficial Danite. That is not a threat, but if you promise physical harm we can promise defense. I guess I’m just fed up with attacks on my church, my beliefs, and sometimes threats. I’m sure you can find someone else to harass. Or you could just say no. Otherwise, I survived shots fired in anger, you want a piece of me? Bring it on!
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

1 comment:

  1. Exmos are not used to anyone fighting back. They are very aggressive and have no qualms with lying and fighting dirty. Things taken out of context or intentionally mosrepresenting facts in order to.... something?...

    Most of them got their feelings hurt when someone told them they were wrong in some way. Notice how they all tend to be 'intellectuals'? Yeah, they think theyre super smart.

    Well Im not above fighting dirty or taking cheap shots. I also tend not to turn the other cheap, unless its to wind up a punch of my own, so....

    To hell with them. I have a couple mission companions who joined the Dark Side. One in particular who is very vocal.

    Let 'em burn.

    I dont make friends with baltant liars, which is what they are.

    To hell with them.

    ReplyDelete