Friday, July 17, 2020

Range Etiquette and My Reverence For the Range

I was at the range yesterday. I really love the outdoor range I’m a member of. It has lots of room, adequate shelter and even bathroom and water facilities. Out there amid the spent brass and smelling the burnt powder I can honestly say I’m “Home on the range!” It is a place I can relax even in inclement weather. I like to shoot for about 15 or 20 minutes and then take a break and sit and enjoy the breeze and some water. I often put my feet up and just soak up the atmosphere. Most other shooters are respectful of my space but occasionally I’ll get someone who asks a lot of questions that I sometimes feel obligated to answer. “How long have you been shooting?” “What kind of training do you have?” “What are you shooting?” meaning guns or ammo. If I give them an honest answer I will usually get more questions. I don’t mind answering questions or helping someone. It’s not an imposition unless the person goes too far. I’m an instructor and don’t mind helping someone with their shooting. But it’s rude to expect me to abandon my training to give you a free lesson for an extended period of time! I usually end up leaving no matter where I was in my own training. I wish new shooters would find a mentor. A friend they get along with who is willing to take them under their wing and show them and hopefully teach them safety and range etiquette.
Range etiquette consists of a few things:
Number 1 is always safety. Learn the safety rules of your range. I teach 4 rules but your range may have more. Always follow the safety rules! Make them a part of you. My wife teases me because every time I pick up a drill or a nail gun, my finger is off the trigger and I’m pointing it in a safe direction.
Most ranges have other rules. Follow them like you would the safety rules. Do not break them. You could get banned from that range if you are not careful with the rules. If your range has an RSO (range safety officer) do what they say! It’s not hard. RSO’s get a bad rap because of some who should not be. You have to have lots of patience and tolerance. I have a problem with stupidity. Unfortunately humans are stupid. I haven’t been an RSO for years and that’s probably why. Think about the rules and then think about what you’re doing. The range is no place to do your own thing, within reason of course. If you’re just starting out (like a LOT of shooters these days!) don’t be overwhelmed. Take it slow and think about what you’re doing.
Remember there are often others shooting with you. Courtesy should always be in your range bag. Never point a gun to your right or left. Others get a little nervous when you point a gun at them.
I once threw an Air Force Major off of “my” range. I told him he could come back when he had authorization from his commander. He even tried the “Do you know who I am?” I was a mere buck Sargent at the time and I said “I don’t care who you are sir. You’re off my range!” So RSO’s do get a little testy when someone who knows better keeps pointing an M16 at everyone on the range. So be safe and follow all the range rules.
During a Cease Fire most ranges require you to stop shooting, open your action and step back behind usually an actual physical line.
I’ve learned that everyone’s a shooting instructor. Everyone has their own opinion about how to shoot well. Some have no training, some have bad training, and others never used the training they received. Those that know usually don’t volunteer correction. I’ve seen just about everything and I rarely open my mouth. I do with safety matters but that’s it. If asked I usually help. Correcting someone else is just bad manners. Don’t do it.
Make sure you clean up after yourself. Pick up brass, ammo boxes, target material, water bottles, or anything else that needs to be put in trash. Cleanliness is important in every aspect of your life but just as important for a trip to the range as well.
Being mindful of those around you in all things is just the kind courteous thing to do. My range bag has extra ear plugs, safety glasses, and ear muffs. I also have lots of targets. They’re just paper plates but they serve my purpose. I want to encourage people to shoot. Being courteous and safe are good ways to do that. Sometimes that first visit to the range can make or break a return shooter.
I’ve developed some great friendships meeting others on the shooting range. If we keep range etiquette we can find a lot of friends who feel as we do. Remember to some like myself going to the range is a rejuvenating experience. Don’t ruin my reverence for the range!
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment