Friday, February 12, 2016

SIP (Shelter In Place) Kit at Work or School

Emergency Kits
My wife thinks I have a kit for everything. First aid kits. Shelter in place kits for home, school, and work. Bug out kits. Get home kit. Individual kits in our medical supplies such as a suture kit, wound care kit, etc. Survival kits. EDC (everyday carry) kit. I like kits!
I would suggest that you have a shelter in place (SIP) kit where you work. Most people will have a shelf, a drawer, a cabinet, or a locker where they work. It’s that place where you put your purse, keys, and phone (what I call EDC) at work. I would suggest a SIP kit for those times when you will have to SIP. Most schools or places of business give some type of SIP training whether it is for a tornado or an active shooter incident. It’s these SIP events I want to address.
I think every kit should have a weapon of some sort. Ideally it would be a gun but not everyone can, by law or policy, legally possess a gun. There is pepper spray, tactical knives, a defensive baton, tactical pen, or kubotan. Even your key chain can be a defensive weapon. You can have a “monkey fist” key chain or just a keychain with a lanyard. Swinging keys can be very defensive.
Mask, hand sanitizer, sanitizer wipes. These items can go a long way in the event of a sickness outbreak or a pandemic. Know how to use these items. Especially the mask. Make sure it is at least an M95 or higher and be familiar with the proper way to wear this mask.
Water and a small snack. My locker has about half a case of water bottles in it. I try to rotate these a little bit. If I was a little better organized I’d date them and put them on a rotation schedule. I haven’t done this yet. Crackers and nuts are a good idea. I like jerky. Make sure these items are rotated too. Choose food items that will last and are packaged well. You may be locked down for quite a while and having food and water could mean just being more comfortable or something more.
Basic first aid kit. Most schools or places of business have some sort of first aid kit. I do not trust them. I would suggest building your own. When I build a first aid kit I emphasize blood stoppers. That seems to be a common need from a kit. Most commercial kits don’t have much in the way of stopping a serious wound from bleeding. Basic over the counter meds like aspirin, Tylenol, Imodium, antacids, and cough drops may make a difference.
An emergency blanket. This is especially for cold country. If the electricity was out could you keep warm? You can also use it to treat for shock or as a make shift litter.
Communication device. Cell phone or battery operated radio would be good.
Flashlight. I carry one in my EDC and it is used almost daily. Get a good one and keep the batteries fresh. Perhaps keeping a spare set of batteries for your light and/or radio would be good for your kit.
Playing cards or portable game. You may be SIP for a long time and this would help to pass the time. When I was in the military we would practice exercises often. Sometimes I was stuck in a SIP situation for hours. A deck of cards was like gold!
Maybe a trash bag or two and a small roll of duct tape would be handy.
Put these items into a bag that will be easy to transport, but not so obvious. A purse, small sport bag, or backpack would work well.
This type of kit would be worth its weight in gold in a SIP situation or a bug out situation.
Make a SIP kit!

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment