Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Children And Guns

Children and Teens with guns. This can be a horrible combination. I say CAN be. It usually is not just as most adult gun owners don’t become serial killers or mass murderers. Lately I’ve had several conversations about kids and guns. Some have asked at what age they should expose their kids to shooting and safety, and others want to know how to keep their kids safe from gun violence. We are not in the aftermath of a recent mass shooting committed by a young person. There have been some terrible mass shootings by adults. And that is horrible and sad. Some say it is the times we live in and others think it’s the guns fault. I know this for a fact, killing another human being is not easy or normal. Those who do it with a plan have mental problems. They did not see too many violent movies (although that does not help). They gave into hate and evil. But I digress.
Kids and guns can also be a very good combination. When someone asks me I usually tell them what I did with my big bunch of kids. When they were 8 (boys and girls) I would teach them to shoot. If you live in my house you hear about gun safety all the time. It was taught to my children young but they started to handle guns at 8. Mostly .22 rifles and a few pistols. While at the range they would ask occasionally to shoot something more powerful but usually did not like a heavy recoil. As they got older I encouraged them to shoot more powerful handguns and rifles. They all shot what I suggested but usually gravitated toward what they liked. They memorized the safety rules and I quizzed them often. My recently married daughter was being shown some guns and finally burst because her new husband and in-laws were breaking a couple of the rules. They balked at her knowledge a little and so she quoted all four rules to them and said “My Dad would freak if he saw you guys being so unsafe with guns!” She is correct. I would take their guns from them and make them repeat the rules more than once back to me before they point another “safe” weapon at me!
I’ve read the articles from the “experts” who say kids can’t handle guns. They are very wrong. I’m not saying I would give an 8 year old a .22 handgun and say “Keep this in your drawer.” I lock up my guns for several reasons. My kids were taught safety and the mystique of guns was eliminated. Whenever they wanted to see a gun or handle one, they were allowed under my supervision, reminding them of the safety rules. My guns are locked up from adults or kids that don’t live with me. I have been a gun instructor for over 20 years and I fear adults much more than I fear kids. In my experience kids listen and follow well taught rules, but adults have “knowledge” or “experience” with guns. I have removed an Air Force pilot, a Captain, from a shooting range and barred him from return because he knew about guns and had been in one competition. He blatantly would not keep his finger off the trigger and out of the guard. When he started to cover almost everyone on the range I told him he could return to that range and qualify after his commander had counselled with him. I told him when he returned I was the only instructor that could qualify him. Two weeks later I received a letter of apology from him, a call from his squadron commander, and his promise to follow all instructions given him to re-qualify. I’m not a tough guy, but I insist on gun safety.
Kids are usually quite teachable when it comes to gun safety and shooting. They are eager to do it right and to do it well. They like the satisfaction of seeing the results of their work right away in the form of a paper target or the ping of a steel one. They like the competition and the thought of mastering a skill. Adults care too much about they look, or are perceived, to be the most teachable. That’s a generalization of course.
I started shooting at a young age with my Grandfather who taught me to shoot and gun safety. I also spent a lot of time on my Uncles ranch and farm where I learned to drive at 14. Also, every pickup had a rifle in it. So I was around guns a lot and never remember not being around them. That is probably not typical of most kids so I understand some people’s anxiety. But teach kids correct principles and they learn to govern themselves. Just as kitchen knives are dangerous, and hot stoves, and power tools, and prescriptions, and Drain-O, we must teach kids to be safe. There are many dangerous things in this world that can potentially kill a person and we must be safe with them all. Vehicles are the leading killer of people 1-24. Yet we think nothing of getting into a car. But just as we teach kids to look both ways and wear their seat belts we must teach them to leave a gun alone that they come across and how to be safe around one. It’s not that hard. The problem that I see is not with kids but with adults. There is so much misinformation out there and many adults who are ignorant about guns. Every person should learn to swim. I believe every person needs to learn how to be safe with a gun. Even if you never shoot a gun, never own a gun, and don’t think you’ll ever be in contact with a gun, you should learn gun safety. I don’t own a boat, don’t like to swim and haven’t floated down a river since I was a kid but it’s important for me to know how to swim and be safe around water. I’ve seen adults who were deathly afraid of guns. I’ve taught some of them how to shoot. Once you take the mystery out of shooting it’s not too difficult to put your fears to rest. Having a healthy respect for what guns can do is a good thing. Being irrationally afraid of an inanimate object is silly.
I’ve always started kids off with .22 rifles and moved to .22 handguns. Once they know how to be safe, every time, then they can move to other calibers and more power fun. If they are interested. Some kids are just not. I’ve seen some people start off with airsoft or air rifles and that is fine. That is a good way to teach the safety under a less lethal device. Marksmanship can be very satisfying and can build self-esteem and skill. When safety is never lax and always emphasized, kids will learn what they need to be safe even if they never shoot another gun.
When teaching a kid about gun safety make sure you are in a place that is not distracting. As you progress emphasize that guns are not toys and gun education is not learned from video games or T.V. and movies. In fact, most of the time the entertainment industry is wrong about gun handling. I also teach only 4 gun safety rules. The NRA teaches more but I like the simplicity of 4. Always in this order:
1. All guns are always loaded
2. Never point a gun at anything you’re not willing to destroy
3. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger until your sights are on your target
4. Know your target and what is behind it
I quiz like this: “Billy why do we keep #3?” The answer is “Because of #1”
“Sherrie if I keep #4 then what will happen?” The answer is “There will not be an accident because a bullet went through the target and hurt someone behind.” “Jacob why do we keep #2?” The answer is “Because of #1.” “Jen what is #1 and how does it keep me safe?” The answer is “All guns are loaded and if you treat them that way you will never have an accident.”
Number 2, 3, and 4 support number 1.
This is also how I teach adults also. If you want to give education and information to your children on guns you must do 4 things:
1. Take out the mystique and taboo of guns
I don’t want my kids playing with knives either but they used knives under supervision from a young age starting with a butter knife. Whenever kids show a curiosity or interest in guns I would take one out and remind them again of the safety rules. I would make the gun safe and then let them handle it. They had to clear the weapon, and then practice the safety rules.
2. Emphasize safety
As I have explained above, my kids know those rules forward and backward. I got lots of groans and eye-rolls when I would ask them, but they knew them.
3. Start small
I started with .22’s but insisted, later in their training and when they were older, that they shoot higher caliber guns. Not to force them into something they did not want to do, but so they understood the power and seriousness of what we were doing. Some of them embraced higher powered guns, some of them did not, but they all have some experience with them.
I also started with little bites. I made their first range experience a good one giving them a good foundation in safety, but a fun experience so they would come back. I also made it brief. 20 to 30 minutes or so. They range time got longer later and as they matured and got older. I made sure I taught only a few concepts at a time to not overload them. If you try to teach grip, stance, trigger press, aim, safety, all at once, they may overload.
4. Make it fun
Making the experience fun and enjoyable was very good for them. We spent some good Dad time together. Even if we didn’t shoot that often, I tried to make it a fun and enjoyable experience.
Teaching your kids this skill may save their lives one day. They would know what to do with a gun if ever it was handed to them. And they may find a skill and hobby that will take them to competition, hunting, or a life-long activity.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment