Saturday, December 29, 2018

Ex-Mormons: Possible Threat?

Every time I read the Book of Mormon I am struck by how often ex-Nephites, or you could say, ex-members of the Church, went against the Church.
My biggest example would have to be Zarahemnah.
Zarahemnah was a Lamanite Chief Captain.(Alma 43:5, 44) He was a Nephite who had left the church and joined the Lamanites. They were more wicked than the Lamanites (Alma 43:6-8) and caused more problems for the church. He pushed the Lamanites to fight against the Nephites. He was beaten by Moroni (Alma 44). Amalichiah was also an ex-member of the Church and the reason for Moroni’s Title of Liberty, the following is a story of an ex-member of the church and his problem with Joseph Smith:

“As they approached their destination, Mr. Law came staggering out of the house shouting out what he intended to do. The Prophet said kindly and unafraid, “You sent for me, Mr. Law?” To which Mr. Law replied with an oath that now he was going to do the whole world a favor by disposing of the Prophet with one shot. Calmly, the Prophet unbuttoned his shirt and bared his chest, and then said, “I’m ready now, Mr. Law.” Charles said at this point he nearly fainted. Sick fear strangled him until he was speechless and paralyzed, unable to move a muscle. Mr. Law paced a few steps, turned, aimed, and pressed the trigger. There was complete silence. Then the air rang with profanity and Mr. Law turned on Charles, accusing him of fixing the gun so it would not go off and threatened to kill even Charles——my innocent, frightened, but faithful son. The Prophet, to divert Mr. Law’s blame of Charles, suggested that a can be placed on a fence post for Mr. Law to take a practice shot. Relieved, Charles ran for a can and laid it on its side on a post. Mr. Law paced back, took aim, and fired. His one shot streaked through the exact center of the can. Even Mr. Law was quiet as if stunned. The Prophet buttoned up his shirt, gave Charles a meaningful look, and then said, “If you are finished with me now, Mr. Law, I have other things needing to be done.” (As quoted by Robert H. Daines at BYU-Idaho Devotional, 28 May 2002)

The next portion of this article is from a church manual.

“Many members of the Church apostatized during this dark period of economic distress. Eliza R. Snow observed that, following the temple dedication in 1836, a number of members of the Church felt that “prosperity was dawning upon them …… , and many who had been humble and faithful …… were getting haughty in their spirits, and lifted up in the pride of their hearts. As the Saints drank in the love and spirit of the world, the Spirit of the Lord withdrew from their hearts, and they were filled with pride and hatred toward those who maintained their integrity.
“Wilford Woodruff also remembered that the members were warned by their leaders that unless they humbled themselves and repented of their pride, a scourge awaited them as in the days of the ancient Nephites. The Kirtland paper, the Messenger and Advocate, reported that some unscrupulous brethren were taking advantage of newcomers to the community by describing unusual investment opportunities to them, taking their money, and then deserting them.
“Backbiting against Joseph Smith was common during the spring and summer of 1837 in Kirtland, particularly when he was away on business or on missions. Some men who held positions of trust in the Church rejected his leadership and declared that he was no longer a true prophet. When Elder Parley P. Pratt returned from a Canadian mission the apostasy was well under way. He was temporarily caught up in these difficulties and left a candid account of his involvement.
“There were also envyings, lyings, strifes and divisions, which caused much trouble and sorrow. By such spirits I was also accused, misrepresented and abused. And at one time, I also was overcome by the same spirit in a great measure, and it seemed as if the very powers of darkness which war against the Saints were let loose upon me. But the Lord knew my faith, my zeal, my integrity of purpose, and he gave me the victory.
“I went to brother Joseph Smith in tears, and, with a broken heart and contrite spirit, confessed wherein I had erred in spirit, murmured, or done or said amiss. He frankly forgave me, prayed for me and blessed me. Thus, by experience, I learned more fully to discern and to contrast the two spirits, and to resist the one and cleave to the other.”
On several occasions stalwarts such as Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball defended the Prophet in various meetings, even though they were endangered. In February 1837 several elders called a meeting in the temple for all those who considered Joseph Smith to be a fallen prophet. They intended to appoint David Whitmer as the new Church leader. Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and other faithful members attended the meeting. After listening to the arguments against the Prophet, Brigham arose and testified, “Joseph was a Prophet, and I knew it, and that they might rail and slander him as much as they pleased; they could not destroy the appointment of the Prophet of God, they could only destroy their own authority, cut the thread that bound them to the Prophet and to God, and sink themselves to hell.” In the Kirtland Temple on 19 February the Prophet spoke for several hours with the power of God. The complainers were silenced and the Saints were strengthened in their support of the Lord’’s chosen servant.”
From: “Church History in the Fulness of Times Student Manual” Chapter 14: The Apostasy in Kirtland, 1836-38 Pgs. 169-180 (2003)
It is obvious to me that the biggest threat to the security and good name of the Church is its ex-members.

I do not doubt that some ex-members were harmed by other members or leaders. There are many stories out there and they seem to get larger with every retelling. The members and leaders in the Church are just as human as any of us. Mistakes have been made but every time I hear someone, some where say, “I had this Bishop one time...” I roll my eyes. Not because there could not possibly be Bishops that I would not agree with, I know that there are. I was a Bishop for a while and I know what Bishops are up against. What amazes me is these stories are almost always very one sided. All the people telling the stories are perfectly innocent. I was a Bishop long enough to know that these story tellers are far from innocent. But their sins and mistakes never seem to be included in the story. Like I said, it’s hard to think that no one has been wronged by the church. But please, don’t tell only one side of a story without including your stupid, boneheaded choices.

What does all of this have to do with security you might ask? The security of the Church and its members are at risk usually from ex-members.

I know I will probably be ragged on for mentioning names but the Kate Kelly’s and the Sam Young’s of the church are the greatest threat to the church.

Kate Kelly said that women should stay in the church and “raise hell”.


“Kelly, who was excommunicated from the church last year (2014) after advocating for the inclusion of women in the all-male LDS priesthood, said that Mormons should stay in the faith if it brings them joy, and leave if it doesn't.
"If you stay, you should raise hell," she said. "I think you have a moral imperative to make it a better place for children and especially for girls."
The Salt Lake Tribune, August 12, 2015

Sam Young is another.

Young’s approach often strikes an incendiary tone. Most recently a post on his personal blog referred to his local church leader in Houston as a “zombie” and called the First Presidency “cowards.”
“What did Jesus Christ do? He didn’t mince words when talking about the leaders,” Young said.

The following is from a blog so I’m not sure you call this a direct quote. I could not find any other direct quote so take it as it is. He is talking about Sam Young aligning himself with Mike Norton.

“This brings us back to the present. What is he doing now? He started a hunger strike and is posting Facebook live videos at a rapid pace. He has set up a camp chair on the sidewalk of South Temple and is issuing open invitations to apostles to come subject themselves to an ambush, consisting of whatever vile words or violent actions Young’s crowd may subject them to. One of Young’s supporters, Mike Norton, has recently offered to pay a cash reward to anyone who could give him details of Pres. Oaks physical whereabouts during a Mormon Stories podcast so that Mr. Norton could physically assault Pres. Oaks. Again, I wish I was making this up.”
31 August 2018, The Millennial Star blog post.

These people are a security risk to the church. Not all people leave the church and then can’t leave the church alone, but you must keep an eye on those that do not stop fighting against what they profess to be false.

From Zarahemnah to Sam Young the Church of Jesus Christ has been under fire.

I don’t always like Church policy but I have tried my best to not let my opinions effect my sustaining of leaders. I don’t want to get a call from my leader, of which I am now his counselor, and be asked to stop my blog because it is damaging my testimony and threatening the Church.

So let me say right here: I support and sustain our living prophet Russell M. Nelson and his counselors. I sustain my local leaders also. I would not give up my membership in this church to a “mess of pottage”, as it were. To any cause I thought was just. Many of the above members lost their membership to a cause. Traded their eternal life for something they believed is basically, an earthly cause. I guess they believe in their cause but they have some ambiguity with leadership and doctrine of the Lord’s Church.

I saw different statements by the two above modern day zealots that their membership was important to them. It’s too bad they have traded what they said they held so close for something they think the Lord doesn’t understand. That’s what they are saying to me. That people know better than the Lord.

Be careful of those apostates that leave the Church. They can be the Church’s biggest threat.

My Dad used to say, “If they are shooting at you, you must be doing something right.”

Perhaps he was right.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn










No comments:

Post a Comment