Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Concealed Carry: Always, Everywhere

I was talking to a friend the other day. He is a Border Patrolman who normally carries a weapon “everywhere at all times.” Except today. The day I was talking to him he said he had decided to not carry. I looked at him and said “Baaa”. He looked at me strange as if I was off my rocker. I told him about Lt Col Dave Grossman. He talks about what I call the OP Rockwell Philosophy. ( (OPR) Rockwell Philosophy 4/9/2014) Basically this philosophy puts people into 3 categories. Sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. We can move from one to another as we change. Most Americans are sheep. Kind, gentle, and not apt to violence. Wolves are predators who care nothing for the sheep. The Sheepdogs care deeply for the sheep but are more familiar with violence. The sheepdogs protect the sheep from the wolves. We can choose which we are. My friend is one of the good guys. A distinguished Border Patrolman who works to keep our country safe. But that day he left the life saving tools of his trade at home. Fireman have fire extinguishers, fire alarms, and sprinklers. Can you imagine a business putting up a sign that said they no longer provide fire alarms and sprinklers? Yes, they would be breaking laws and ordinances. Why? Because everyone knows that fire happens and that it is deadly and destructive. But sheep do not believe crime will happen today. They live in denial. Now this quote is easier to understand.
“But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself…’Baa.’”
LTC (Ret.) Dave Grossman
I talked about the oath I took in an earlier post. (See blog Concealed Carry and Sacred Honor, 8/17/2014) Because of that oath I carry. Like my friend “Everywhere, Always”. If I did not, I believe I too would have to say “Baa”.
If you are authorized to carry (licensed, or a peace officer) then you should carry everywhere, always. You have a responsibility to do so. You made the decision to get a license. You went through the classes, had your fingerprints taken, allowed a background check to be done, and even paid a fee. Those are not just small steps to take so that you can carry occasionally. When you put that into something, you should consider what you are doing. Hopefully your instructor, or someone else, impressed on your mind what you are proposing when you get a concealed carry license. You are saying you want to defend yourself and your loved ones. The moment you go out unarmed, you are saying “Defend myself? Not today.”
This is not an easy thing. Sometimes I just don’t feel like hassling with it. Sometimes it’s uncomfortable (weighs me down). I’ve had to change my clothes, and I’m always aware that I am armed. There are certain things I don’t do because I think I will be made. I know that sounds like I’m miserable, I’m not. I’m just aware of what I do because I’m armed. But I’ve found I can do quite a bit. I’ve played basketball while armed. It was not an intense game and it was for a short time. My point is, being armed changes your life. If you have a temper, you will curb it if you know that it could escalate into something you don’t really want to do. You also become more aware of your surroundings. Your situational awareness is more keen.
I served in the military with some great warriors. What some of them have said to me was “Watch my 6.” Watch my back. We are what is here in place to protect our country and our loved ones. The police can only do so much. I love our law enforcement. We have the best in the world. But because of numbers, they can’t be everywhere. So when seconds count, the police are minutes away. Someone must fill that gap. I also believe that every officer should be armed and ready anytime. That would mean being armed “always, everywhere.” Like LTC Grossman I believe that if you are a peace officer and you “qualify” when you should but skip the range to run, or play golf, or boat then you too can say “Baaa”. If you hold a concealed carry license and you go to the range 3 or 4 times a year, then you too are a sheep. I go to the range once a week and that is not enough! Nothing bothers me more than someone who nonchalant about their security and mine. Especially mine. My kids can’t carry a gun. Even though one of my rules is never leave home without a knife or a gun. They depend on others to keep them safe. That is normally mine and my wife’s job, and we do it as much as we can. But there are gaps. They are at church. They go on scout camp outs and young women activities. They go to work and to friend’s houses. They go to the movies and to the mall. I can’t be with them every second. I depend on law enforcement, and people like you. So please go to the range. Practice. Take classes. Be competent with your weapon. Don’t be a sheep because there are too many sheep. We need more sheep dogs. We can’t give in to the terrorists or those bad politicians who are in denial. We must secure our borders and then the interior of our country. For instance: Our schools can be a safe place as they used to be.
This is a suggestion to fight terror in schools. They are known as “The 5 Ds”
1) Denial – as in GET RID OF IT! We need to admit there is a danger to our young ones.
2) Deter – Armed guards at schools
3) Detect – Look for individuals with undue interest in our children’s school’s security.
4) Delay – Have only one single point of entry, secure each classroom (lock classroom doors during class), perform lockdown drills.
5) Defeat – Trained police and armed citizens.
These things can apply to the workplace in many places.
If you are licensed to carry, carry legally. Figure out what it will take to make you carry always, everywhere.

Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment