Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Family Security Plan Part 6: Portable Security

When putting together a family security plan, remember security when you are away from home.
When traveling or bugging out, you must practice good security. During rule of law, locking car doors, and motel room doors is a standard. We were staying at a Motel 6 in New Mexico when in the middle of the night I heard the knob rattle. It stopped and I thought maybe someone had the wrong room. A few minutes later the door opened but was stopped by the security door lock. I grabbed a weapon and jumped out of bed. I looked through the peep-hole and then carefully open the door. I looked down the long hallway and saw no one. We were in an end room so I went around the corner then around another corner to the desk. I told the clerk what happened and that if it happened again I would consider it a threat to my family and would deal with it as I deemed fit. The clerk looked at me, then at my Smith and Wesson and said “OK!” Nothing happened the rest of the night.
There are simple alarms you can bring with you that wedge under a hotel door. These are a good idea. When traveling having a gun is a good security measure, just make sure that it’s legal in the state you are in or traveling through. Each state has its own laws, so learn them and live them. Don’t fall into that “I didn’t know!” trap and end up in jail. Also, consider a few things with guns, when I rushed out the door and out of sight of my family were they left defenseless? What if I didn’t come back? My wife also has a weapon and is trained. Always remember when you leave your vehicle or home, that there should be someone there who can, and is able to, still protect your loved ones. I never take our home defense gun when I have to leave my family in the house. I take my carry weapon and a flashlight.
Don’t leave anything in, or on top of your vehicle when staying at a hotel. I also try to park where I can keep an eye on my vehicle. Do not leave anything of great value in your motel room if you are leaving for an extended period of time. This can be a hassle, but its well worth the hassle.
For extreme security, or security in extreme times, (i.e. without rule of law) things are different. Keeping watch is always important. If someone is changing a tire on your vehicle, another person is on over watch duty. If bugging out on foot, establish areas of responsibility. This would be similar to a patrol protocol. Point person has directly ahead and to the right and left (180 degrees). Drag, or the last person in the element or group has the same 180 to the rear. He or she may even hang back to ensure no one is following. The others in the group would have left and right watch. Also remember to maintain an interval. If you are all bunched up it’s easier to ambush or throw an explosive into. These are basic things to remember. Preferably everyone in your group should be armed. I understand that sometimes the element I’m talking about is your family. Every adult should be armed in some way. As far as teenagers, it’s up to you if you arm them or not. Also, even if it’s a group of adults, if you’ve never traveled like this before, or practiced this type of security it would be difficult to just jump into it. If all were carrying rifles it could be dangerous. Practice this type of movement and teach and maintain safety. This requires absolute trigger discipline (safety rule #3) and muzzle control (safety rule #2). As a reminder the safety rules are:
Firearm Safety Rules
1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover (point at) anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
I know this isn’t the most glamorous thing or very fun, but next time you hike with your family “play” the patrol game. Use a walking stick as your rifle and check yourself. I’ve done it before and my kids didn’t even know we were practicing. I know this is also extreme, I don’t know if you will ever need to actually implement this type of travel, but it’s good to have a little practice and experience with it.
When stopping and spending the night in hostile country there is obviously a guard need on over watch. Besides this, trip wire can be deployed. Like I mentioned in the extreme security post, trip wires come in a variety of styles. Some sound alarms, some trigger light sticks, others are more defensive. It’s a good idea to create and maintain a perimeter. Trade off over watch at intervals that will give everyone sleep.
If you are on the trail by yourself, be especially alert. Don’t go into places where you can be easily ambushed. When sleeping use concealment. The good thing with being alone is that you travel faster. The bad thing is you only have one set of eyes and ears and one weapon.
Security requires attention and situational awareness. Being suspicious until you learn otherwise. Not trusting. Changing your route or routine quickly if trouble is perceived. Some call that paranoia. It’s not paranoia if it saves your life. If things ever do go South, good people need to change. Actually I think good people can sometimes need change now. If you trust everyone and never think anyone would intentionally harm you or your family, then you need to change a little bit. The fact is, not everyone is trustworthy or have good intentions. I think most people are good, the problem is the wolf in sheep’s clothing. This is why the sheepdog must be vigilant. The wolf is always out there among the sheep.
Remember your, and your family’s security is nothing to take lightly. Vigilance is the watch word.
When putting together a family security plan, make sure you include all aspects of security. What we didn’t cover in this series is security on the internet. Communications security is important always not just in extreme instances.
These have been just suggestions and items I have found that work and things we have practiced for many years. You may add too or take away from any of this when you create your own plan. The important thing is to actually create a plan. Write it down and practice it. You will also find that you will change your plan as kids get older and circumstances change. Be flexible and do what needs to be done. The head of the home should take the lead in this and teach a security mindset.
Semper Paratus
Check 6
Burn

No comments:

Post a Comment